Monday, May 23, 2016

Tears and Eyeglasses is NOT a Good Combination

My apologies about this disjointed post.  I should have written this all down while it was happening.  Too late now. 

The elders had showed us this video before.  They showed it again at the baptism.  I cried the first time that I saw it.  I cried even harder at the baptism.  Both times I had thought of Annaleigh, my brother-in-law's first wife, who was in need of assistance getting her to various doctor appointments and such, and how it felt like there were only a few of the sisters serving her needs and how much time and planning was involved.

My brother-in-law, Bill, is great. Some of us just didn't know how depressing the situation was.  Bill lives up to his last name, Jolly.  He was devoted to Annaleigh and if someone just knew him but not her, there was really no clue about Annaleigh's condition or her attitude or needs.  Overall, I felt depressed just being around her.  Nevertheless, she still needed to be served.

I really enjoyed sacrament meeting yesterday.  The youth speaker shared her experience from being at the temple last week. It was refreshing to hear her take on the things she learned and how she felt.

The bishop’s son spoke next.  He is moving to California for his job.  I enjoyed hearing his own personal history and his spin on the scriptures as he entertained us and used examples from the Old Testament of prophets and compared their situations to the prophet Joseph Smith.  Several people have had trouble with the fact that Joseph Smith was only fourteen when he was visited by God, the Father, and his son, Jesus Christ.  Samuel (from the old Testament) had also been just a boy when he was called.

I think the talk that touched me the most was Jerry’s, whose emotions and descriptions tugged at my heartstrings. I had to remove my eyeglasses so that they wouldn’t fog up.

He talked about the ailing health of each of his parents – one who had dementia when he passed and how when he had received the phone call about his dad’s passing, he was not upset or sad but felt a sense of relief and appreciation.

Jerry talked about his conversion and his family’s reaction – which wasn’t positive and actually put a strain on their relationship.  I think for many, there is a misunderstanding about the church and unfortunately choose to distant themselves from their children who have made poor choices at “joining a cult” instead of loving them unconditionally. Disowning association as many have had negative reaction to a family member coming out with same sex preference. Children need to be loved, not banished.  Jerry was crying.  I was crying.  I don’t know who else had tears, but I would think the talk may have touched stirred up emotions for others as well.

I wish I could have written this down while it was all still fresh in my head.  I would have remembered more detail instead of just highlights.  I really die enjoy yesterday’s meeting.


No comments:

Post a Comment