Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Field Day




Field Day is a way for the elementary schools to transit from the last week of school to beginning the summer vacation.  The idea is for children to have fun playing games and friendly competition. I remember volunteering for Field Day at South Kearns Elementary.  I believe I had signed up three different years.  I know we got rained out at least two years, but there may have been one room in which we were able to complete the competitions.

There were a parachute and relays, water games, racing with a spoon and keeping contents from spilling over.  I don’t remember being involved in another field day until yesterday as I had agreed to sub this week.  It felt weird going back after having been off for a month.  
I felt awake when I left the house but somehow grew tired after having entered the building.  I don’t know why.  Every time I entered a classroom I seemed to go deaf. I was constantly asking students to repeat themselves.

We didn’t have to go out for recess or take classes to the lunchroom.  Instead, we sat with the classes as they ate their sack lunches while watching a movie.  That gave a bit of time for the instructors to have their lunch before field day started.  There were both outdoor and indoor activities for each class to go to.  I’d been assigned to stay outside with the older kids for the first half hour before we switched up with the younger kids who started out in the lunchroom.


I don’t know all the activities that took place.  I had been assigned the station with the tether balloons and squirt cups.  It was so dang windy that the tether balloon wasn’t going to happen.  It also blew down the cups that we were supposed to set up and have the children squirt down with water bottles – which seemed fun for the majority of them who participated.  


I also saw a bubble station in which the wind seemed to work in their favor and dressing up and racing in oversized close.  Didn’t quite get that one, but the kids looked as though they were having fun.  I don’t know any other outdoor activates that may have been on the other side of the building. 

The indoors offered activities related to science.  The table I stood at offered this:

http://familyscienceandengineering.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/GlueClueSample.pdf

http://familyscienceandengineering.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/GlueClueSample.pdf
        

          Friday will be the last day of school.  According to Jenna, school should have ended last week but was extended to make up for the week missed in February.  I don’t know if that’s accurate as I remember that school was still in session when we moved to Oregon, and we did not move in until June 17.  I thought having school that late in the year was crazy – but I don’t know.  Perhaps they got a late start due to fire season . . . I know it wasn’t snow as the residents here hadn’t seen snow for eons until the year we moved in and have seen it almost every year since.

2 comments:

  1. We were supposed to have a make up day for a snow day we had towards the begining of February. It's usually done during spring break but this year, it was scheduled to be the day after the last day of school which I thought was kind of weird because lots of people don't even show up on the very last day of school. There was an announcement in the post mail throughout the granite school district saying they would do away with that so, we didn't end up making it up after all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I heard one district opted for making up the entire week of power outage during spring break - our district didn't opt for it as there were too many plans that couldn't or wouldn't be changed. That included both aides and instructors. I remember only having to make up one or two days in Utah - but never an entire week.

      Delete