Thursday, April 27, 2017

Butchering is a Skill




          The  definition for the verb "butcher" is to slaughter or cut up.  Recently I had watched four butchers compete on chopped.  I wouldn't say they "slaughter" as they seemed to have a craft.  There was an art to their skill. My skills live up to definition of "slaughter" and it isn't just with meat, but with plants as well. Give me scissors, a cleaver, a knife or whatever.  I "butcher" things - but not in a pleasant way.



          We had a ham on Easter.  When it was more than half gone, Roland asked me to cut up and remove  the remaining meat from the bones.  I think I heard a bunch of butchers roll over in their graves as I'm certain my mutilation was quite brutal in comparison to their skilled perfection.  I know my butchering skills themselves would get me disqualified.



          I think I am the most productive with gardening when I am angry.  Weeding and clipping are a way for me to vent - but may not be the best for the plants.  As I have mentioned, our front yard is overrun with junipers and we have discovered that they have been responsible for chocking the life out of some other plants.  Roland sent me out there to trim down the junipers and allow the rocks and other plants to show.  I probably don't think I did a great job as I was not angry. 
         
         

       I had on some winter gloves because I hadn't known how cold it was outside.  Roland had me trade for a work pair.  I think a plant must have stabbed me, or perhaps it had been a result of my own careless butchering, but when I had finished, there was a large hole in one glove. 


I need to work on my cutting so that I can be refined and skilled.    

No comments:

Post a Comment