Friday, December 29, 2017

White Chocolate is an Oxymoron


top is white chocolate, bottom is actual chocolate
even before taste, sight can figure out the difference.

            Those who enjoy a great martini or daiquiri may think that taking the alcohol out and calling it "Virgin" does not make it worthy of calling the drink by its alcoholic name.  I don't know as I have never had an alcoholic beverage on purpose.  I had been invited to a cocktail gala once.  I had ordered a mocktail pina colada I believe. When my glass looked empty, a waitress had asked if I would like a refill.  She hadn't realized my drink was alcoholic free nor did I figure out right away that my second drink had rum.  I didn't like it nor did I finish it.  The first had tasted so much better.  That was my opinion anyway.
I cannot tell a mocktail from a cocktail by sight
            The word "white" in "white chocolate" must mean the same as mock or virgin - for those who can't or choose not to have real chocolate, "white" is their alternative just as "virgin" is my alternative when I choose not to drink. I still think it's wrong to use the name "chocolate" when leaving out the main ingredient that would make it chocolate.  But I think I may have a better understanding.
This is a cocoa plant
This is a chocolate mocktail

            White chocolate does taste better than carob.  At least carob never deceitfully tried to pass itself off as chocolate by its name.  Why somebody had tried to pass that off as a chocolate substitute is beyond me.  That would be like not only taking the rum out of the pina colada, but using mud instead.
this is a carob plant; it seriously tastes worse than it looks

No comments:

Post a Comment