Wednesday, April 6, 2016

YW Personal Progress Trivia


On November 28, 1869, President Brigham Young established the Young Women Program for his daughters.  The aim of this movement was designated to cultivate true womanhood and recognize that outward appearance is not what’s important so much as what shapes us from within.  See here


In 1972 the YWMIA became an auxiliary to the priesthood.

I vaguely remember the “Behold Thy Handmaiden” handout introduced the same year as I entered young woman.  It says that there were six areas of focus and My Personal Progress introduced in 1974.  If I were able to view my scanned “treasures” right now, I’m certain I could dig up some memories about it. I do remember Joyce giving us instruction on things we needed to know.  As I mentioned in my last post, I SAVED EVERYTHING - but I know I didn't scan it all.

I remember hearing about some of the project qualifications given to Beehives in 1915 which was very different from what we were taught during my years of YWMIA



Service, choosing projects from over 300 options.  In 1915, those options included:

Care successfully for a hive of bees for one season and know their habits.

During two weeks, keep the house free from flies, or destroy at least 25 flies daily.

Each day for one month, commit to memory a quotation from either Bible, Book of Mormon, or Doctrine and Covenants.

During three consecutive months abstain, between meals, from candy, ice cream, sundaes, sodas, commercially manufactured beverages, and chewing gum.

Mend six pairs of stockings, two knitted undergarments, and hem six dish-towels.

During three months, assist the Relief Society in their work of caring for the poor and sick.

Without help or advice, care for and harness a team at least five times [and] drive 50 miles during one season.

Clear sagebrush off of one-half acre of land.

Additionally, each girl was required to memorize “The Spirit of the Hive,” which was the Beehive motto: “On my honor each day I will have faith, seek knowledge, safeguard health, honor womanhood, understand beauty, know work, love truth, taste the sweetness of service, feel joy.”




In 1985 a new Personal Progress book is published (obviously different from “Behold thy Handmaiden” plan) and age-group mission statements, motto, and logo were introduced. More information on evolution of recognition found here



In the summer of 1998 I’d been called as secretary to the Young Women’s organization in my ward.  It wasn’t until I was a leader that I remember actually working on my personal progress.  Here are some pages from the 8 ½ X 11 book that I still have in my possession.





This is what the cover looked like:


this is the theme I learned


more words were added to theme in 2002




 Just behind the cover was an inlet of Salt Lake Temple - 




the idea was to see not only Jesus through/in the temple, but also ourselves


this picture was taken shortly after I
returned home from my mission.  It
is not something I would wear to the temple


Mission statement and medallion for each class



and " the standards of personal worthiness" check off list




 Laurels had the option of picking two values and creating the projects that would express that value







 as leaders we were given these samples as guidelines







 last page in the book



Recognition jewelry matched the values. 




I was a leader for two years before I was released. I never did receive the final signature to receive my own recognition though I'm sure I earned my medallion.  I decided to collect signatures from leaders and the girls. I'm okay with that.  

No comments:

Post a Comment