Monday, April 4, 2016

From Primary to MIA


When I was in primary, our classes were made up of those in the same grade at school.  We went to a class from September to September (or whenever the school year started.)  Primary was on Thursdays – just right after school. Each class had it's own name: Sunbeams, Stars, CTR, Targeteers, Merrie Miss and Blazers.

We were given paper crowns in Sunbeams and Stars and a CTR ring in CTRs.  We were given a flag in the Targeteer class.     


I don’t know if it was every other lesson, or once a month or exactly when the ribbons were passed out.  Each ribbon was a different color as I recall (I don’t know if the color was symbolic) – and I think they came with printed verse or scripture as a reminder of that lesson.  We were supposed to tie each ribbon on the “pole”, I guess just under the flag.  I can’t remember if we “earned” our ribbons or if they just came automatically.  I don’t even know what became of my flag.  It is one of the few things from my childhood that I didn’t manage to hang on to.

The only pic I could find with Targeteer anything.  Notice
the flag is rolled up so I still don't know its true shape.

























Blazers and Merrie Miss were each for two years.  The boys were put in the Blazer class while the girls went to Merrie Miss.  We were given challenges and “awards” for passing off each Article of Faith and more.  Somewhere in my pack-rat memorabilia I have saved my Merrie Miss marker (banner passed out the first year) and bracelet (earned stones the second year) and Highlight Circle (which I couldn't find a picture of on the Internet, but have packed away - probably somewhere in Kayla's house - I do have a Merrie Miss Circle - still.  I'll have to photocopy it if I ever get the opportunity to do so)

I remember from early childhood that my mom had taught the Blazers.  I remember seeing the bandlos that the class members had to work on – particularly her youngest Blazer as he seemed to be the only one present for many of the classes. I don’t recall having bandlos in the Merrie Miss program, though they evidently did exist at some point




We didn’t go into Mutual (contrary to belief about some of our youth, the LDS term for “MIA” does not stand for “missing in action”) we didn’t enter just one at a time according to whenever our birthdays were.  We “graduated” from primary as an entire class.  We had a ceremony of recognition and we each received a pendant – though not from the LDS Jewelry collection offered today’   





Mine had a red flower on a white background similar to this:



 The chain broke, but I still had the medallion part until before the move to Oregon.  I don’t know what became of it after that.

I remember having learned my articles of faith – having memorized them so that I could “graduate” and not be held back in primary.  What a dork.  I realize now that I would have gone onto young women’s no matter what.  But I remember having had pushed myself just to get out of primary.

Today we still have Sunbeams and CTRs.  We no longer have classes called Merrie Miss, Blazers or Stars. The children 4 – 8 are CTRs.  The older classes are all Valiants. (I personally liked singing the Targeteer more than the Valiant song)
Primary youth no longer wait until the final class to pass off Articles of Faith.  Jenna had her AofF memorized before we moving to Oregon.  She also has the opportunity of attending Activity Days (or Achievement Days as referred to here)

Achievement Days wasn’t offered when I was a youth, but then again, neither was the three-hourblock.  Meetings were held Tuesdays through Thursdays as well as two to three meetings held on Sunday (as mentioned here)  The three-hour block wasn’t introduced until a few months before my 18th birthday.

When I attended Mutual, each girl was given a “Treasure of Truth” book.  I could only find one picture on the web – it appears to have been around a lot longer than mine.

The one I had been given was pink with yellow flowers or white with pink and yellow flowers as I recall.  Title circled in white.  I saved everything, every handout, every scrap of paper used during each lesson.  It’s disgusting that I was such a pack rat at such a young age.

Before we had moved my mom into assisted living, I scanned a portion of my Treasures of Truth book as I just didn’t have the room (or desire with a lot of it) for storing aged memories and mostly garbage.  I did keep the binder. I’m guessing that may also be in Kayla’s possession.  Maybe not.  It could have got thrown out when Tony moved out of the WV house and Randy moved in.  Oh, well.  Not important. 

Personal Progress was not introduced until five years after I had moved on from Young Women to Relief Society (sort of) .  My sister, Kayla was able to work through it as a young woman.  I hadn’t been given that opportunity until after I had been called as a leader.  Perhaps I’ll get into that later on this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment