Saturday, April 16, 2016

My Life in Boxes part 2





         We signed papers on February 5 because we needed to buy a house.  We were told that Roland’s job position would be done away with and so he applied for a new position within the same company.  Rather than continue looking for what we really wanted and what just felt right, we chose to settle because of Roland’s employment situation.

         He was actually supposed to train at the start of this month, but continues to do what he has been doing for the last few years – but with more work for less money.

         We were initially supposed to close on March 29, but had to sign an addendum for a new date: April 6th – which also came up and we had to sign another addendum – which the sellers assured would be the last. 


         We closed on the 7th – FINALLY – but still, the paperwork did not record until the 12th – late afternoon.  Finally had a key and started moving in.  Tuesday back and forth, Wednesday back and forth.  After three loads I took a break and took Jenna to the church to play games.

         Thursday is Roland’s late day – which means he has the morning off.  We did two loads together and then sweet Aurelia came by with pizza and together we did two more loads.

         Roland had told several people that he was planning to move our furniture over today and would need assistance with one or two items.  I think they must have announced it in priesthood.  But he took the day off yesterday and rented a small truck and we actually moved the majority of furniture over yesterday – with just a few things left for moving this morning.

         Bro. Dailey, our home teacher, was the first to show up.  Roland had just finished loading the fridge and showed Bro. Dailey what we had left (which actually was not a lot, but heavy stuff that required more than one person to move) and as they were loading were joined by another that calls himself Hercules and they were just loading the last item when Bro. McDonald arrived.

         They finished up just in the nick of time, too.  The house across the street from our rental has been going through a renovation since December, I think.  The guy who bought it has put possibly three times the amount that he’ll ever get out of it.  It’s just now starting to come together, and actually looks nice.  But what a nightmare – probably even more so than our situation.

         That street has never seen so much traffic as what has arrived and parked in the vicinity of both of our houses.  Just after Roland and all the others had
driven away, those working on the house across the street had blocked off the street with polycones.  I will not miss the construction traffic that has seemed to grow more each day.

         Offloading went more quickly than anticipated.  Roland told me his number of helpers had grown from three to nnine.  I didn’t finish the cleaning at the rental.  I chose to get lunch instead.  I had ordered two larger than large pizzas to bring to the house, but before the pizza had even finished cooking, all of the crew was gone.  I think Jenna managed to eat 1/3 to half a pizza by herself.  We still have one pizza left.

         Hopefully when I post again, I will have all connections for displaying pictures, a little more time, and fewer boxes to deal with.  I am so so tired.  I feel like a zombie.

         Still in between houses.  Both homes are in chaos – our new one especially.  And currently I should be unpacking instead of posting this. But my body is tired.  Roland’s body is tired.  Unless we can hire professional movers, I cannot see that we will ever be moving again.  But so much has been nicked and scratched and dinged and whatever (including us) that if we can hire professional movers, surely we could just start fresh from scratch.  But let us get settled in this house first.

         I even have pictures.  Just don't have the ability to access them right now.  Perhaps in another week or two – if I may actually live that long.  I am so out of shape.  I feel like a dried up rubber- band all brittle and not as stretchable as perhaps I was at one time.  This rubber band is about to snap.

         So at least one more post of my life in boxes as I feel such disarray at the moment – as though the amount of boxes will never end and I’ll always be searching but unable to find.   
 

No comments:

Post a Comment