Jenna’s favorite princess, without a doubt, is Brave’s
. Each November first she has announced what
her costume will be for Halloween for the following year and each year she
changes her mind – though there seem to be fewer changes. Merida
I know better than to plan her costume before October – although with the last two years she has only changed her mind two or three times compared to the initial eight (life was just so much easier when I was the one picking out costumes for her)
In November of 2010 she announced that she would be Big Baby from Toy Story 3. Really? After nine months I decided that maybe she really was going to go through with it and started looking for something she could use – though having my then seven year old running around the neighborhood in a dirty onesie did not thill me nor did I have a clue how to do her eyes so that she could still use both of hers in order to see.
. I was grateful when she finally changed her mind and decided she would be Juliet from Gnomeo and Juliette.
A red dress and white apron from Savers. I really thought I would find something I could use. But fortunately she wanted to change it again – this time to Tiger Lily.
Oh, Joy of joys! I could do an Indian costume for really cheap! I used two paper bags that I got from Winco and cut the fringe and allowed her to do the decorating. She thought it the coolest costume ever!
Last year she decided to do something different. For ten months she sounded serious about going as a teapot. I had called Joh to get his expertise opinion on how I should do it. He came up with a great idea. But she changed her mind again. She would be Velma from Scooby Doo.
I thought it would be less expensive and perhaps better made to purchase items from Savers – though Roland seemed gung-ho about purchaseing a costume from the Halloween store. I don’t think it was worth the purchase. The good news is that she can wear it again (at least for the time being)
But this year she would like to be
The dress is from Savers, but I made the wig. My initial thought was to make it out of
about 6-8 boas – but I never got beyond the thought as the purchase for the
boas themselves was over foty dollars – never mind that I had nothing to fasten
the boas to. Merida
I had purchased a pirate cap for a dollar. I found Fun Fur at Wal-Mart. It was even the perfect color – unlike the boas I had found. I wish I had thought to ask Joh if he would make time to make one, or if he had any suggestions for me – but I can honestly say that I did indeed make the wig all by myself adding one to three strands of hair at a time.. And it was for under ten dollars.
No, it is not true that I had done it all by myself.. Jenna occasionally helped to cut strands or thread the needle. I think for the most part the work is pretty sloppy and the wig itself is obviously amature(as I really did have a hard time seeing what I was doing). But Jenna is very excited about it. And that is what counts.
I’ll push for another teapot again for next year. Now that I have done the wig, perhaps I am ready for the teapot. I may miss another week or more of posting as I struggle to thread the needle and try to make it work.