Wednesday, March 30, 2016

Watching "Little Shop of Horrors" always brings a smile to my face


          "Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home" was released in 1986.  I remember going to the theater with my mom and brother Patrick.  I don't understand why my dad wasn't with us as he seemed to be a fan of "Star Trek" 
                   
          We were still in line when we heard that "Star Trek" had been sold out, but my mom really wanted to see something and so we continued to stand in line.  

          As we approached the booth, and had a better view of titles and times, Patrick suggested that mom might like "Little Shop of Horrors"  He didn't really know much about it except for it was a musical.  I really don't think he was aware of the bizarre plot involved.



          There was a dark horror/supposed comedy released in 1960.  The full length feature can be found here.  I don't know who thought to turn it into a musical.  Still bizarre - but it works.

          I don't know that I smiled the first time I watched this, or even why I watched it again.  I am certain my mom and I both wore expressions somewhere between confusion and disbelief - not horrified exactly - but shocked maybe?


Mom and I may have worn similar expressions
I thought it would be funny to use Kirk as Star
Trek had been the initial intention

          I smile now - for so many reasons really.  But when the movie initially starts, and the three girls are dancing in the rain,  that's when the first smile comes.  It's not the scene itself but rather the memory that makes me smile. 




          I was taken aback by the outlandish dresses and perhaps the music itself.  I hadn't known what to expect, but was definitely not prepared for what took place on the screen.



          Another memory that puts a smile on my face is when Patrick's family joined mom and Kayla and me as we traveled to Bakersfield, California to go see [Corey] perform as Seymour in the stage version.  I had seen the 1986 movie a few times before seeing the stage production.  I hadn't realized how some of it would be different.

          There were at least three musical numbers that hadn't made it to film.  My nephews Kimball and Brian memorized the song "Mushnick and Son" as though it was one that they had performed many times themselves.  They would try mimicking the dance that Corey had to learn.


not Corey or even Bakersfield for that matter


          Corey's strength does not lie in his ability to dance - or so he believes.  The way he describes himself just makes me laugh. 
          The plants (or Audrey II(s)) had been borrowed from another performing company.  There were four of them.  Two hand-held puppets, and two larger full-body props.  Although Patrick and Sunny had prepared their three children ahead of time - telling them that this entire concept was just pretend, Brian freaked.  He was fine with the plant when Corey was controlling it - but Brian literally freaked when the plant got bigger than Corey.


again, not Corey of even the same Audrey II


          After curtain call, our family had been invited back stage to walk through the plant - to prove to Brian that it could be done and that we wouldn't be eaten.  Even Kimball - who had also become frightened of the life-sized plant - took his turn at walking through the Audrey II - but Brian would not do it.

          The director and stage manager decided to make Brian his own plant.  When he was on a break from performing, Corey brought it home and gave it to Brian.  It was the first time Sunny wondered about conflict among her children and hoped there wouldn't be any jealousies or hard feelings with the other two.  I don't think there was.

also an example; the one they sent
did not include teeth


          After we returned home, we had showed the movie to the three kids.  I remember listening to Brian's excitement the first time Rick Moranis came on screen and excitedly pointed at his character and practically shouted,  "That's the guy who plays [Corey]!"

also an expression that may have mirrored the ones
that mom and I wore back in 1986


          The scene in which Seymour drags the body of the dentist down the stairs makes me laugh - now.  I don't think I even smiled the first time I watched it.

              (I couldn't find a picture of dragging the body)


         It wasn't until several years later that Corey had gone on to playing the role of Mr. Mushnick at a different theatre.


once again, not Corey nor members of his cast


       I don't know how old Jenna was when I first introduced her to "Little Shop of Horrors" but she was intrigued.  Full of smiles.  She's always had a healthy imagination and has loved pretending.  Loved watching it over and over and singing.  Still does.




          Funny how this bizarre idea can trigger so many happy memories for me - and I would think several other members of my family.


No comments:

Post a Comment