Wednesday, September 12, 2018

Tangible History



            As soon as Jenna returned home from school yesterday, Roland and I went to a neighbor's house to pick apples.  Jenna did not wish to go.  Instead, she started on some homework she had.  When I returned, she asked me to help her with a specific topic.  She had been assigned to write about an invention and had picked cameras as her topic.  Oh, yes.  What a great historical item.  

            My first suggestion to her was to make a comment on the straight faces that are seen in so many old photographs.  No one is smiling.  They all look serious.  Cameras seemed to be a lot heavier and bulkier back then.  It would take the photographer a huge amount of time just to set up his equipment and even longer to capture the pose.

            Jenna had taken a journey through camera timeline and did have a paragraph which was overly boring.  Cameras are fun.  The history of cameras is fascinating.  I showed her that she could take notes from a YouTube video if she didn't want to read.  Pep up your paper.  Put some life into it.  Interview Uncle Bill who is a professional photographer.  

            I told her about some of the cameras I had possessed during my lifetime.  And the lawsuit between Polaroid and Kodak and how I had to give up my Colorburst camera and my thinnest camera ever was the Kodak disc.  I told her how many pictures I could expect to get out of one roll of film.  I forgot about the stupid flash attachments that were needed for earlier cameras.  The people of the early 19th century had to wait for long periods of time to capture a moment.  Today we have instantaneous selfies and the capability of sharing them on social media within seconds after they are taken.

            I'm excited to help her with this project.  Of course, I am more excited than she is.  For her, it's work.  For me, it's a new blog subject.  Well, not really.  I have mentioned a few of my cameras in various posts.  My latest arrival came yesterday while I was removing grapes from there stem (we still have one large bucket left) though I did not get many better pictures of our grape transformation as the battery was being charged for a good part of the process.  But now, thanks to Corey, I now have this kind of camera


which came in this really cool drawstring bag.  



 So future posts should have better pictures and not just cell phone fuzz.  Looking forward.

No comments:

Post a Comment