Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Wine on the Vine


            There is a couple in the stake who had moved into a house with lots of land.  The original owner had used some of the land was used to grow baco grapes.  When the couple moved in, he asked to continue with growing his grapes and maintained that part of the land.  He has now retired from maintaining the land.  It's not necessarily an investment the family was interested in and decided to invite all those who lived in the stake to come and pick as many grapes as we want.  These were offered for free.

            So for family home evening, we loaded up the car with buckets, scissors, gloves and knee pads - though we did not need the latter.  The couple has grown into a family and had various children out in the orchard to direct participants on where to go and start cutting.  Cutting grapes off the vine was probably the easiest we've had of any other produce. (We didn't think to take pictures while we were there).  Thus in addition to the blueberries, cherries and apples, we have tackled this year, we have added grapes to the mixture of preserving - though it won't be with pie. 

            Last night Roland and I pulled a large number of grapes off the vines.  Rinsed them, smashed them, boiled them, drained them.  We did get more juice than I had expected.  We used a milk bottle for the juice and he put the glopped up mess into the sieve and put it on top of a bowl in the fridge.  I did not think about getting pictures of that last night.  I took all of these this morning while I was creating this post: 

we had filled two buckets


and a box to give away

stains left in each container that was used

Jenna calls these "grape bones"

The amount of juice made last night  - pucker up pal
The waist

Last night the waist looked like a purple jelly with seeds in it - like raspberry jelly often comes.  I didn't get a picture of it in the bowl or the sieve - not that it would have made much difference.  The cell phone quality is still not that great.  I don't see in the picture what I see in real life.  The blob no longer looks like jelly, but purple manure. Roland moved it out with the compost.

1 comment:

  1. Did I mention that our newfound grape juice acts as a laxative? I think it took less time to drink it than it did for it to "cleanse" me. I feel like I weigh less.

    ReplyDelete