Monday, September 10, 2018

Enough is Enough


          Roland Loves watching movies and television.  I tolerate T.V. but as I have mentioned before, if we were to get rid of it, neither Jenna nor I would be upset about it.  There are so many things that are greater than sitting on the couch (an uncomfortable one at that) watching moving pictures and reading the closed captioned because even at 72 decibels, the sound is usually in competition with the A/C and the fan - unless you are in another room and then it's like "Why is the volume up so dang loud?"

          I can watch a couple of movies, I guess, but then I am burned out.  I cannot or will not watch 8 hours straight of "American Pickers" or "Flea Market Flip" or even "Big Bang Theory"  Even four hours is too much. 

          So yesterday, Roland asks if I want to see a movie.
           "You mean from Red Box?" 
          "Let's see what's playing at the cinema"
          "We don't have money to go to the cinema"

          So he brings home two movies from Redbox and another handful of movies that he picked up at a yard sale.  I could NOT get interested in ANY of it.  I was so antsy about sitting there wasting my time.  For some reason he wants us to watch movies together.  But we are rarely ever interested in the same thing.  I'm fine watching a movie without him.  In fact, sometimes I prefer it.  Then I don't have to listen to his commentaries. Sometimes I will talk during the programs he likes just so he won't get upset when I decide to leave.

          So we have started the third movie (because he could see I was uncomfortable with his RedBox movie selection).  It was a cheesy disaster movie that I figured I could handle better than anything else I had looked at.  The disaster hadn't really started when I received a phone call from a friend in Riddle.  She was calling to let me know that our daughters had won the summer reading prize for teens: a jar of candy. Each time the teens read so much, they were able to put in a guess for the amount of candy in a jar.  


          In addition to the candy were a bunch of skeleton parts that made up a skeleton. There were 251 pieces of candy plus skeleton parts.  Ashley had guessed 264 and Jenna had guessed 238 - each wasoff by 13 pieces.  They split the proceeds - though not fairly. Ashley can't have the candy and so Jenna ended up with most of it.  I thought it was cool that both had won.  I thought Ashley should get the skeleton, though her mom reminded her she probably wouldn't have room for it.  Neither does Jenna - but I would guess that Jenna will become bored with it in less than a year and can give it back to Ash.



          We went to the Riddle Library and hung out in the park with them for a while before we returned back home.  I think Roland was watching cowboys when we returned.  Too much TV.

No comments:

Post a Comment