Thursday, September 6, 2018

I may come across as a bit long-winded


            The discussion for this week is to: "Think about a time when your mind was successfully changed either by a message delivered in print, on a screen, or in person from someone else. What factors swayed you?"  The first thing that came to mind was accepting gay rights.  As with many others, I grew up believing in the influence of society.  "Homosexuality was wrong and therefore anyone who practiced was wrong" and I think made to feel worthless. It was something I had been taught all of my life.  But through Corey, I've come to realize that to be gay or attracted to the same sex is often NOT a choice.  Really, why would an individual go through all the pain and prerecession in addition to having desires that he/she can't seem to control or explain? Why shouldn't they have the same rights as others who develop feelings for the opposite sex? No person has control over developing a love for another person.

            Discussion posts are to be at least 150 words long.  If I were to try to explain the details of being swayed to gay rights, my post would have been over 700 words.  I wanted to find something less personal - although the topic is on world culture and the subject matter of homosexuality would fit into "culture". I didn't wish my subject matter to be on such a personal level in the classroom.

             I ended up with over 250 words focusing on the digital camera versus my desire to use film.  But then I had to add more words as there were steps required for the post - plus an extra assignment given by the instructor during the lecture (for the benefit of forcing others to pay attention to the lectures) - bringing my total to over 500 words.

            When responding to somebody else's post, the word count needs to be at least 50.  My first response was to a classmate who doesn't deal well with change and chooses not to deal with it at all when she can help it.  End of story.  I did not notice that she had included the rest of the requirements that we were expected to post.  My response was that I don't like change myself, but I do understand the need for it.  I provided a few examples of rotating merchandise, updating equipment and social media - which may not have been pertinent to those living in the 20th century, but is pretty much a necessity nowadays.  Like it or not, the internet is now a part of life.  I don't think she's understanding of the purpose of this class as a requirement. She needs to know that she shouldn't appear to be so closed minded.  I would not hire someone who is not open to suggestions and change.

            The assignment focuses on four parts about accepting world culture and applying culture intelligence.  Word count needs to be 500 words or more.  I had over 800.  Why is it that I can ramble on and on with this class but struggle to find to the minimum required words for accounting - or why an essay would even be a requirement for accounting. 

            In addition to taking classes online, I have put in my application to work as a teacher's aide in the South Umpqua school district.  Thus far I have had interviews for three different schools.  I did not get the job for the first one as they had decided to go with someone else, but I did get a request that I should apply as a sub.  Meanwhile, school has started, but neither of the other schools has made their decision.  Jenna and I are hoping for the one near the high school so that she can ride home with me instead of taking the bus. 

            Things are kind of laid back for me otherwise.  Starting the 17th I will be back to two classes: database and intermediate cost accounting.  I should be able to handle it, but if I'm working, I will have to adjust my schedule.  Jenna and Roland might never see me except for morning and dinner perhaps.

            Feast or famine.  I have learned to enjoy the famine that seems to dwell around me right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment