Saturday, March 2, 2013

The (not so) Great Salt Lake and Antelope Island


Recently Roland and I watched a video called “Redemption” As I watched I wondered just how much was accurate and what other history I might find on the web regarding John Baptiste,  Antelope Island, and the Great Salt Lake  (which may have been great at one time but really isn’t all that great now - at least in my opinion)



          I find it interesting that early settlers were interested in making a community on Antelope Island and grazing cattle as stated in this post but it isn’t mentioned that it was used to prison John Baptiste – but then it isn’t explained what the island was used for during the 1862 which is when the grave robber had been banned to Antelope Island.



          I’d heard of Antelope Island, but had never been to it until after I was married.  I don’t think it lived up to the hype found here.  It probably did at one time.  But not in this decade. It was okay. But I don't think it lived up to the description.



          Roland and I took the boys there before we were married.  We went to a barren area and enjoyed a picnic.  We were inland as we had no view of the water except for coming and going.  And actually did see a beach on the way out.  So the second time we went to the island, I had invited Sunny and her children to go with us. 



           The kids enjoyed playing in the sand.  They buried each other and made sand sculptures. I think only three or four of them ended up in the water.  Biff and Randy teased Tony and said he looked like a poster child for "Feed the Hungry" 

          There was quite a bit of space between the beach and the water.  We took Roland’s sister and her husband out there the year Jenna was born.  There was even a greater distance between the beach and the lake.

          Ooki arrived in the states two or three weeks before school started.  We decided to show him the sights.  We never took him to Antelope Island but did end up at Bonneville Salt Flats and Saltair.

          Saltair was once a prestige place to go.  There used to be boat rides from what I understand.  Now it’s a ghost town.  I don’t recall seeing this set up




But this building was still there with the still boat in front – set up as a gift shop as I recall. 

The building had kind of a haunted theme to it and had been vandalized over the years.







We walked out to the lake and Biff carried Houdini (which was funny) as Houdini was not willing to cross the water on his own. Ooki took lots of pics and posted them to his website (which may have just been for his senior year; I don’t have access to it anymore - I'm thinking he took it down)










I think we spent more time at the salt flats.  Three of the boys walked out quite far



The only time I ever saw Ooki wear sunglasses was when we were at the salt flats.

The lake continues to shrink – or so it appears to my eyes – though it looks more impressive from the road than the beach of Antelope Island.

When Jenna was younger, she really wanted to go to the beach.  Wasn’t in our budget to drive to California and so we started out for Antelope Island and invited Kayla to go along. 

I forgot about the smell and the flies which seemed much more poignant upon our return.  There wasn’t much in the way of people.  I don’t know that we even saw any other cars.  It was desolate.





Jenna did enjoy the beach. 







The water had evaporated even more and it was a very long walk (I bet it was at least one mile from the beach to the water) This is one of my favorite pictures of Jenna and my sister entering the water
Jenna was so excited to test her inflatable tube in the water.  I'd forgotten that she had a cut on her upper thigh.  She screamed in pain when she squatted down in the water.  The salt cut into her wound like a thousand daggers.



Getting out there and returning took much longer than the time we spent there. Both the lake and the island itself. I remembered that we were charged to cross the road to get out there.  When we left, I remember thinking they should have paid us to come.  What a disappointment. 



I took more pictures on our way out so that the time we spent there was not a complete waste. I haven’t returned nor do I plan on returning.







 The picture of the bus – a thing of the past.  I don’t think they do bus tours anymore. Or at least it wasn't offered that particular decade.



After watching “Redemption” and reminiscing what once was, I wonder how anybody who has been in the Great Salt Lake can think Baptiste drown in it.  Okay, maybe he didn’t know how to swim, but come on.  That water is so full of salt that one can’t help but float in it.

They say that Baptiste was relocated from Antelope to Fremont – which I had never even heard of.  It is explained somewhat in this post.  And I just found me a new site to follow.

2 comments:

  1. I actually auditioned for Redemption. Didn't get cast obviously. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. must say I liked it better than that "Miracle" show that I still have not seen you in.

    ReplyDelete