Wednesday, January 24, 2018

A Dictionary on the Table


            Mom and I had played "Scrabble" on occasion, but I preferred playing "Upwords". 


We used to play several times a week. We had a dictionary on our kitchen table at all times - or that is how it felt anyway.




            Our dictionary eventually got torn up a bit, but it was nothing compared to the tiles of disappearing letters.

  


            They would scratch off and we attempted to go over each with a marker until finally we just broke down and purchased a brand new game



 

            Eventually those tiles wore out as well.  After I married mom purchased another upward game with a more spacious board and smaller tiles.  After she had gone into assisted living, I took the game to live in my household.  It was this version that made it to Oregon with us.



            It is a game Jenna doesn't enjoy playing, but recently Roland has made the sacrifice of leaving the TV in order to play "Upwords" with me.  We don't yet have the sparing relationship that mom and I had together - often playing two or three games in a row.  Roland's maximum (so far) has been one.  It hasn't come close to the competition which mom and I had experienced, but it seems to be getting there.  I am grateful for Roland's willingness to work his way into becoming an "Upwords" rival.

No comments:

Post a Comment