Monday, September 16, 2019

Dash TV36: Ricks’ Outdoor Family Program


            Our family vacationed every year.  Often we went to either Disneyland or Yellowstone National Park, but there were also times when we did something different.  One of those vacations was sponsored through then Ricks College in Rexburg, Idaho.  I don’t remember where exactly the “Outdoor Family Program” – took place.  I'm guessing somewhere in Idaho.

            I think Kayla was five at the time.  I don’t remember how many families were involved – though I can remember six.  We were all put in cabins which surrounded the shower area and bathrooms with flushable toilets. There were portapotties available, but they needed to be moved as they were pretty full to almost overflowing.  It was disgusting. 

The cabin we were in was pretty much wall to wall bed.  There were five of them fit together like a U shape (if I remember correctly) and six of us.  Patrick and I were assigned the beds at either end.  Kayla and Corey slept between my mom and dad on the three other beds all smashed together.  There was a floor to put our suitcases down and then it was a matter of shifting over mattresses.  Good thing we were a close knit family. 

a rough illustration


            It may not have been as much of a vacation for dad who had to get up early along with the other fathers and only one sister who had brought her five children.  I think they were all under the age of eight.   They would go and learn the day’s activities and explain the agenda to their families.  We got to go horseback riding, repelling and canoeing. 

            Frank was the name of the student who was responsible for harnessing those who wanted to participate and would say “Do you trust me?”
            With each person who was guided over the edge, Corey would say “I trust Frank” which would continue louder on each person until finally it was his turn. 

            Frank said, “Do you trust me?” and Corey responded, “Sort of.”

            There were three people in each canoe, and a really low beam.  Some chose to go under beam.  Our guide pulled over before we got to the beam and said, “That looks too low”

            One canoe managed to get under it but the second one tipped.  Two of the passengers were not very happy. 

            I think the program was an entire week, but maybe not.  I don’t remember all the details but I do know we held church services.  We had gone a ways from the camp and bread had not been brought for the sacrament and crackers were used in the bread’s place.  I remember Lance was one who blessed the sacrament.  I don’t recall who the other was.

            Lance had come with a couple from either North or South Carolina.  They had a young son named David.  I think Lance was just a friend. I remember one of the sponsors searching for muscle power.  As he searched around the group he said, “I need four strong guys and David to help me”  I thought it was funny.  

            Overall, I don’t think it felt like much like a vacation for my dad, but I know Corey and I had fun.  I think Patrick did to a degree, but he hated the mosquitoes.  I remember when he returned from the showers, his back was covered with mosquitoes.  He didn’t think it was cool to take a shower and then douse himself in a can of mosquito repellent.  It didn’t even matter which brand.  Mosquitoes travel for miles just to sample Patrick’s blood.  I didn’t have to worry about spraying myself – especially with Patrick around. 




No comments:

Post a Comment