Tuesday, July 2, 2024

Lift Where You Stand

 

According to my Cryptogram puzzles Pope Francis said “God Never gives someone a gift they are not capable of receiving . . .” referring to the gift of Christmas, but I took it to another level and posted the following to the RS page:

God never gives us gifts that we are not capable of receiving. He never gives us a calling that we are unable to fulfill. If we are willing and ask in faith for His loving guidance we can perform as an instrument in His hands. We can go from an unpopped kernal to desirable popcorn that we were meant to be.

The last part of the quote comes from Ben Wilcox “Come Follow Me” lesson for next week (here)

          I know that there are people who struggle with their callings as they feel inadequate in the position due to their lack of knowledge or being able to relate to those they serve or those they serve with.  I do not foresee that in my current position or presidency, but I know when I was initially called back in 2018 there were some challenges that were in attendance.  I’ve served with three different presidents now and think we are at our best this year.

          Some presidents have delegated with no problem, others don’t seem to know the meaning of the word.  Sometimes the calling we are given is to serve those have trouble with delegating or handing the reigns to someone else.  Sometimes for those we serve.  Often for ourselves. 

          My mom accepted all callings she was asked to fulfill – often with a lack of enthusiasm or self confidence.  She had taught in primary, nursery, cub scouts and Relief Society and was diligent in her calling and always prayed for guidance.

          One year when my brother was about eight or nine she had been called to teach his class.  She had one rebellious youth who challenged her as he needed discipline and she seemed to focus on that aspect of her calling.  She made an appointment to see the bishop to ask if she could be released.  And then something amazing happened . . .

          Now this is in the day of landlines and long distant calls – costly at that.  She received a call one day (before her appointment with the bishop) and it was another student from her class.  She had gone out of town to attend the funeral of a family member and had been having a hard time with her emotions but then remembered something my mom had taught her in primary.  She was still out of town when called my mom (long distant) to thank her for teaching her about the Holy Ghost.  It was a confirmation to my mom that she needed to stay put in the primary class and not focus so much on the poor behavior of one student when there were several others who were learning.

          My mom often compared herself to others saying that she didn’t have the talent to lead music as well as Bro. Smith and felt mortified if ever he walked by while she was leading music.  Or teaching.  She didn’t have the same theological understanding of the scriptures as our neighbor Peggy for instance.  I would get upset with my mom and lovingly scold her because she was called to lead the music perhaps for her own growth – and I doubt that Bro. Smith ever thought, “I could do this better.  What was Heavenly Father thinking allowing her to lead music?”

          We all have our own talents and abilities.  We can’t all reach every single person in the same manner that someone else might.  I, for example, prefer the simplistic teaching as opposed to the theological scholars who speak in four syllable words and I have no idea what they’re talking about.  My brain is not that complex.  Nor was my mom’s.

          One day she was teaching her lesson and scolding herself for not knowing the lesson inside out, forwards and backwards and with her eyes closed.  At the end of her lesson a member who had not been to church for several years came up to her and thanked her for her simple lesson.  It had been easy to understand.

          “See,” I told my mom.  I don’t recall my exact words but I reminded her that we all have talents – some aren’t as polished as others, but that’s okay.  We are all here to learn and grow together.  Some might need a nudge to get going.  We all have potential.

        The title of my blog post?  I got that from a talk I read this morning.  Elder Uchtdorf's talk to the general priesthood October 2008 here

No comments:

Post a Comment