Tuesday, September 26, 2017

Tiny Vegetables

               And now for the post you've all been waiting for . . .  just kidding.  I had saved  the words of my post to a draft and planned to add pictures when I returned from a meeting - only the Internet didn't seem to want to connect for me, and so I had to wait until now so that I could post pictures and captions

          Sunday started out overcast and I dressed in some warmer clothes.  And then I changed.  I had my hair down, but put it up to keep it off my neck. I had changed four times within 2 and a half hours (but one change was because I found residue of grime that just didn't look good)  Thus yesterday morning I hung laundry as it felt like it would be warmer than it had on Sunday.  It rained.  Not a heavy rain, mind you.  But it certainly wasn't going to help the clothes to dry!

          Roland says the deer have been getting in our yard and eating plants.  Here is what one of our pepper plants looked like last week:



Here's how they look right now:




          The chili pepper, hot pepper - whatever you want to call it - was an accident.  I found one hanging from the tomato bush.  Evidently not on the deer's eating agenda.  Serves it right for stealing from us.  So much hard work.

Tall corn plants:




producing tiny corn:



That wasn't supposed to be a cherry but rather a full size 
tomato - just like the corns were supposed to be bigger

This afternoon we found a carrot fetus among our strawberry plants:




We didn't even plant carrots!  At least not since we've been in Oregon.  Roland decided to replant the fetus and keep it in the hot house.




Hopefully it will continue to grow.  Other treasures of food morsels 



The last of the beets.  I pulled up four.  Could eat them whole
as they were tinier than the tomato and corn pictured above

This is an apple that made it's way into our yard
(they tend to roll toward the strawberries)

before the deer came

Our melons aren't as small as the other vegetables, but still quite small for melons.  Roland made some slings so they wouldn't pull down the trellis.  We wonder if we'll be able to eat just one of them




We bought a new food dehydrator - so much different than the screens my mom had used.

this is just an example - kind of what it looked like - though
my mom never tried cucumbers or zucchini.  We did bananas
and apple fruit leather.  I think we put the fruit between two screens.

It seems like there was a box, but maybe not; 
technology has definitely made things easier.

We sliced just three bananas to start out with.  See if it will be worth it.  



I don't think it was


No comments:

Post a Comment