Sunday, May 5, 2019

Homograph word: Roll

A role is a position in society or the part that a performer is given for a play.  Role is a homonym to roll which has several meanings. I've come up with 25 sentences though there are only six definitions.  See if you can figure them out.

1.       I may take roll or attendance to find out who is present or absent from a meeting or class.


2.       I may purchase a roll of duct tape which in turn may roll across the floor.



3.       When I eat my spaghetti dinner, I may want a roll to eat with my meal.

4.       I may use the roll as a measure in money, fabric, or toilet paper.



5.       I may roll up a newspaper for an easier toss.



6.       I may roll out the red carpet for a special occasion.



7.       I may teach my dog how to roll over.

8.       I can roll the windows up or down in my car.  The windows in my house don't roll.

9.       Roland will roll out dough for biscuits, sugar cookies and pie crusts.



10.     You may be rolling your eyes and wonder if we have both wasted our time.

11.     Many of the younger generation who use digital cameras may have never purchased a roll of film.



12.     They may not have the opportunity of seeing an old film projector nor understand the concept of film being rolled from one reel or spool to another.

.

13.     You may wish to purchase a sweet roll or a cinnamon roll.



14.     To "roll off one's back" means to not let bothersome things affect you or get you down.  Jenna and Roland have the gift of letting things roll off their backs.

15.     We've had apples roll down the hill before. Our neighbor's tree overlaps into our yard.

16.     The phrase "ready to roll" means to prepare to take action.  I don't know the origin of it, but I imagine that wheels were involved - like a method of transportation.  I am ready to roll or "wheel" away.

17.  To "roll over in one's grave" implies that a deceased one would be so upset by an outcome that might make another uncomfortable.  "Uncle Bobby would roll over in his grave if he knew what you did with his inheritance money!"  is an exaggeration of the truth. Nobody is able to roll over in a grave on his/her own.  There isn't that much room in the casket anyway.

18.     I try to roll my can out to the curb each Tuesday night as it will be picked up on Wednesday morning.

19.     To "roll with the punches" means I will endure a temporary setback.  This term comes from a reaction to positioning oneself in boxing.  Roland and Jenna are also great at rolling with the punches.

20.     Tears may roll down my face.

21.     I can roll up a sleeping bag or bedroll for camp.



22.     The phrase "roll of one's tongue" means it is easy to say or pronounce. Jenna can make the word "Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia" roll off the tongue as though it is as common as "the" and "she".

23.     I can fill tortillas with a spicy meat mixture and roll them up into an enchilada.



 24.    When Jenna was a baby, she would roll from her stomach to her back and then cry because she didn't like being on her back.  She wanted to be on her stomach.


 25.    I wonder how many rolls of tickets the seniors go through during free movie day?


No comments:

Post a Comment