Friday, December 11, 2020

Defunding Police and Missionary Work

             I wish I had taken the time to record my thoughts and try to transcribe them instead of the pathetic attempt to post the following: 

          Jenna has an assignment due today.  She asked if I could bounce around some ideas in order to help her.  The topic is Defunding the Police Why or Why Not? Her thoughts mirrored my own when the subject started making its way around facebook.

          Why would we defund the police?  That is so wrong.  Its their job to serve and protect us.  Why would we want to take that away?

          I obviously had not understood why so many seemed to support it until I saw this political cartoon 

this was shared on facebook.  Unfortunately I am
 unable to cite its orginal source but would like to know

Defunding the police is not the same as abolishing. 

          Have you ever watched Little House on the Prairieor westerns in which there is only one doctor in town.  A jack of all trades one might say.  His job was to cure whatever ailed the citizens whether it be a common cold, the fever, skin rashes, bullet wounds, delivering babies . . . a doctor was expected to know it all and cater to all regardless of age.  And though many doctors may have known a little about so much of what was required or expected the doctor did not everything. 

          Today we have gynecologists, pediatricians, Ophthalmologists, podiatrists, Dermatologists, cardiologists . . . the list goes on and on.  Each doctor specializes in a certain field.  I think it is better to have multiple doctors that cater to something specific than just one who tries to do it all. I think it is the same with the police.  Many signed up with a specific goal in mind without having been trained for every aspect one might associate with police work.  We need to spread the funds each to whatever specialty is required.

          We have opinions on why we should defund the police or why we should not defund the police. I was most curious about how the police themselves felt about it. I do have friends in the law enforcement and would like to support them. I watched this video chat with Lee Adams from Vice (here) in which he addresses eight different law enforcement officers from across the nation. 

Even among those that are in law enforcement there are still conflicting ideas about why or why not reallocate the taxpayers money. Though they agree on some things there are still other items in which their opinions vary.

         I had been asked to attend a missionary training meeting in Roseburg last night. I attended the meeting virtually.  As the meeting progressed my mind reflected upon how to best utilize each member of the community. I made a silent comparison with Jennas assignment and the leadership training that was being suggested discussions I had already had as a missionary and a ward mission leader. 

Two videos were shown both which I had seen before.  The focus is on ward involvement.  The story unfolds as a man (I think his name is Juan) loses his job and doesnt know how he will tell his wife.  On the same day he meets with the missionaries.  They start teaching him and his life is changed.  He introduces the gospel to his wife, Julia.  We are asked how we as a ward will be able to include them into our fold.

          Juan is computer savvy and is introduced to someone in the church who is not.  The missionaries ask Juan to utilize his talents to assist ward members an act of service.  How can we, in return, help Juan. Introduce him to someone who can relate.  Same with the Relief Society and Julia (Juans wife).  When we are in ward correlation or missionary meetings how can we involve each organization?  Who would be a good fit?  I get that.  I understood that as a missionary. 

             I was happy about my decision to attend virtually rather than in person as Roland (who hasnt felt well) would have had to drive me as I cannot see at night. I cant say that I learned anything new. I was disappointed that todays situation had not been addressed as we now have to reach out to others in more creative ways than handshakes and personal introductions.  We have to respect one anothers boundaries by wearing masks and keeping our distance which for me does not give off good vibes of welcoming. I know I can contact others over the phone or through social media if I have that information which I dont.

             Its almost as though we are dehumanized with the mask and staying six feet apart although I support the outline given.  I just find it hard to reach out when I dont feel a foundation of the initial start.  I miss connecting with members let alone those who are not.  Hopefully they can feel the Spirit through the meetings themselves and may understand that human contact will come we just dont know when.

No comments:

Post a Comment