Monday, September 6, 2021

What Kind of Friend Are You?

 I have seen one or two of the Harry Potter movies.  I can’t say that I enjoyed it nor would it have been of my choosing.  The times I had watched were with a number of other Swire employees who had been on their best behavior and were rewarded with our own private theater for viewing at Jordan Commons.  We were also fed hot dogs and drinks.  I remember the pickle relish being a brighter green than I have ever seen on a relish. 

I don’t suppose I had paid much attention to the houses and house names nor cared which each represented.  But I notice Jenna will sometimes ask others “What group do you belong to?” as she refers to the four houses and considers herself to be a Hufflepuff which she defines as “I will automatically be your friend until you give me a reason not to be.” 

Slytherins sound like the kind who will use others to get ahead.  Perhaps not all of them are toxic.  Unfortunately because of her overly friendly attitude Jenna has allowed some toxic people into her life without knowing that they are toxic until she has gotten to know them.  It usually gives me great pleasure that she is so friendly that she is able to put others at ease and make them feel welcome.  But there are times that I worry as she does seem to be too trusting of others without really knowing what they may be capable of.

 She has made a friend with one whom I shall call “Kennedy”.  Kennedy goes the pronouns them and they.  Jenna and Kennedy get along great.  Kennedy has also made friends with another named “Ryley” – I don’t know what pronouns Ryley goes by.  Jenna has absolutely no problem when the three of them hang around together but does not enjoy hanging with Ryley by herself.  Ryley, like Jenna, seems to be overly friendly.  I would have categorized her as a Hufflepuff – but apparently that is not the case.  Too bad.

 I am definitely not a Hufflepuff though I used to be.  I do not use people to get ahead. I am definitely more cautious of people and their intent.  I wish I wouldn’t be so judge-y.  I don’t appreciate getting hurt.  I believe the more distanced I am from people, the less chance there is in creating emotional attachment that could hurt me in the long run.  I wish I was better at taking the initiative to control that.

No comments:

Post a Comment