Thursday, February 17, 2022

POP-tarts Have Now Failed Me

              I know that there will be many who may not relate to this post at all.  Some people are okay with Pop-Tarts while others are not.  I know my uncle hates them.  Compares them to cardboard with jam.  This morning I think cardboard would have been preferable to the flour/water solution that seem to be the only present ingredients in todays Pop-Tart.

        Its not as though Pop-Tarts had been a staple in my home as I was growing up, but I do remember there being available.  Back in the day, they came in strawberry, blueberry and cherry.  They werent frosted.  We would butter them the way you butter toast.  Dad had showed us that if we butter the backside as opposed to the raised side, the butter would distribute evenly and not slide off.

    When frosting was introduced, I wasn't particularly fond of it and would often by unfrosted knock-offs.

        I realize that a childs tastebud is different from that of an adults.  At least mine are.  What I thought tasted wonderful then I only tolerate now.  Often the reverse.  I dont know when frosting was introduced but had often gone with a knock-off brand when I wasnt always in the mood for frosting.  My eldest niece used to call them flat cookies.

        Roland and I have purchased Pop-Tarts several times while weve lived in Oregon.  Again, it is not a staple just something fun as a snack or quick breakfast (depending on the flavor).   Pop-Tarts had come in packages of six or sometimes eight.  Now the package claims 16.  The box is the same size perhaps a little smaller.  The Pop-Tart is definitely smaller than it was pre-pandemic.  Half the size.  The plain one is not so pleasant to the mouth thus the frosting covering is NOT a bad choice as it covers up the super icky taste of todays pathetic crust.  Gross. 


        I already know what some of you are thinking.  Why would I expect greatness in said product?  I dont know that I expect greatness but not such dull crust.  Compared to yesteryear last century . . .

 And then to top it all off I had a fight with the toaster - first trying to put the dang things in - one broke.  And then getting them out.  There are still pieces that are stuck in the toaster - I cant get them out.  Seems the harder I try the more stuck they become.  I think there will be a smell of burnt in the near future.

Pop-Tarts website does not offer valuable information about revolution of product. This site does offer a bit more history (not much) if you are interested. 

No comments:

Post a Comment