Friday, March 15, 2024

So NOT Impressed with the Dryer Balls

           For several years I have thrown a dry towel or two into the dryer along with my wet load as the water may absorb on the towel and cut down on our energy bill – which it seems to have done.  I do use dryer sheets on occasion – especially with my undergarments.  We have somehow stocked on dryer sheets and have a good supply.

 

          It has been less than a month since Richard grabbed a package marked “dryer balls” that we might try.  According to the tag they were supposed to cut down on energy and replace dryer sheets as the static would be taken out and the need for purchasing any further fabric sheets would be nil.  The tag must have gotten thrown away or fell between the washer and dryer for I cannot find it to use as reference.

           My daughter-in-law uses dryer balls and seems to find them essential.  There are many reasons one may use the dryer balls and not just a dry towel. The tag was marked “wool” which didn’t excite me as I am highly allergic to wool (even a small percentage blend) but have been able to handle the balls that were purchased.  This makes me wonder if the ones we purchased really are wool.  My hands have not itched from said product – but I have not held them for long – which is not saying a lot.  My skin always breaks out if I but rub up against a wool fabric.

           So there may be a flaw to the balls.  I have been on various websites which praise the balls and give the reasons why the balls are so fantastic.  For example, these reasons issued by Parachute Home.  

          I’m guessing the ones I have used are not the NewZealand wool, but rather a poor imitation of inferior product marked at a bargain in price but not actually a bargain because it doesn’t do the following for me personally.  Maybe it’s my machine?  Maybe the area I live?  Or maybe the balls themselves? 

          Thus far it has NOT reduced drying time.  Thus far I have had to run the dryer longer. So I wouldn’t think I’ve saved any energy.  Especially MINE.  Again the ones that I have been using  probably aren’t New Zealand or even wool.  Safe for my skin?  Sure, if it isn’t wool.  Reduce static electricity  - um NO.  I have not even done 20 loads – let alone 1,000.  I don’t foresee  the future of these balls being used 100 times as dryer balls.  Perhaps they could serve another purpose?  Removes pet hair.  Bonnie does not have blue hair.  Something blue and fuzzy attached itself to these balls.

 


          I have removed the balls and returned my towel.  We still have dryer sheets.  When we have gone through them all I may try the dryer balls again.  But I don’t know.  I think I would have to try a different brand than the ones I have in the above photo.



No comments:

Post a Comment