Saturday, January 7, 2012

Jenna loves to assist

          Jenna loves to clean the church and do volunteer work at the storehouse.  She actually makes a game of it and will stock items on the shelves while I pull merchandise from the warehouse.  Theoretically she’s not allowed in the warehouse for safety reasons.

          When Roland and I have gone to the warehouse, he always wants to do the freezer and sends me in the refrigerator to put out fruit, vegetables and dairy products while he does the meats. 


          We all three went out to the storehouse this morning.  Roland went into the freezer and I pulled boxes for Jenna to open and put away.  She’s most comfortable with the bottom two shelves – though she can reach the third one from the floor.  But there is no way she can do the top right now.  Often it is a stretch for me.

          She is usually happily singing away as she stocks – often putting smiles on those around her.  Only she wasn’t singing today.  And she found something that she found she liked better than stocking shelves.  Opening and breaking boxes down.

          At first the idea did not thrill me – after all she could puncture herself.  But she was careful.  And I actually found myself taking advantage of it.  I don’t like breaking down boxes.  I would stack cans on the top two shelves and hand her boxes to break down.  And then I would return to the warehouse to pull more merchandise and dispose of the used boxes.  Most of the time I went back to the warehouse, I saw Roland looking more like Frosty the Snowman each time.

          Jenna felt a bit cheated and wanted to know just how cold the freezer was.  And while I wasn’t looking, Roland took her back there with him and let her assist.  She felt so grown up!  I think that’s why she likes going there, actually.
          She and Roland are now making cookies.

No comments:

Post a Comment