Monday, September 15, 2014

I Be Chasing Shadows




I notice that when Jenna and I walk to school in the morning, the sun casts long shadows ahead of us.  Our shadows are tall and thin.  My morning shadow is not fat like I am.  People that know me now would never guess that I had once been mistaken for being anorexic.

Jenna wishes she could touch the shadow, jump on top and hold it down or something – but knows that when she moves her shadow will too.  She knows she will never catch it.

I smile when I think about the animated series “Peep” which featured an episode about the three friends following their shadows.  Their destination is to visit the island located in the west.  They start their journey in the morning when their shadows are long. 

By noon they are tired and their shadows seem to have disappeared.  The three decide to take a nap under a tree and hope to find their shadows when they awake.  They do.

Not realizing the sun has cast their shadows into the opposite direction, they continue following their shadows back to where they started.  They don’t understand as they had followed their shadows the entire time. 

As they turn around to look at where they’d been, they notice the most amazing sunset.  The wisest of the three points out that even though they may not have found what they had set out for, they could still appreciate their journey and the unexpected result.

I like that philosophy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment