Friday, September 26, 2014

Biscuits with Gravy and Scones with Honey-Butter




This morning Roland made biscuits with sausage gravy.  Biscuits and Gravy had been a morning staple for those who lived where I served my mission – at least my first area.  I recall a conversation (after we pointed out to her that biscuits and gravy in the west was not that common.)

She said that she couldn’t even imagine life without biscuits and gravy.  We said that someone in the west missing biscuits and gravy would be as easy to imagine as for her to imagine life without scones.

What?!

“What are scones?”

“Exactly. That’s how much we would miss biscuits with gravy”

Because scones was such a foreign concept to the members of my first area, my companion decided it would be fun to introduce several of them to our idea of wonderful.

Several members were invited to the bishop’s home where my companion (though I think we had made the initial dough at the dinky trailer where we had lived) fried up scones and put me in charge of the honey-butter.  I stirred the honey and butter together.  Big deal.  It was my companion who had done the majority of work.



I don’t think the members were all too impressed with scones.  I didn’t hear anybody say anything about the scone itself.  Several praised me on my wonderful honey-butter (as though I had slaved all day over it;  actually that part of the world seemed big into apple butter – which is not near as sweet as the honey)  It is the only time I remember having scones on my mission.

No comments:

Post a Comment