Wednesday, September 17, 2014

94 in Death Valley


I so love this time of the year
In the morning just before the sun rises
At night – just as the sun is setting.
The weather is fair.  I like the cool air.
But the sun beats down in between.
It shouldn’t be this warm hot in September
I think it feels like Baker or Death Valley, California. 
I suppose that would be a slight exaggeration.
94 degrees might be considered cool for Death Valley

 

I remember one year my family was on our way to Bakersfield, California to see Corey in a play
We stopped off in Baker to get a bite to eat
The air was hot.  Unbearably hot. And dry. 
It was said the temperature was 117.
Patrick had gone into the men’s restroom to remove his shirt and douse it in water.  What a great idea!  I went to the women’s restroom and did the same. 
Our shirts were dry before we got back in the car.

 

Baker boasts to have the world’s tallest thermometer.  It is 134 feet tall.
The height represents the ground breaking Fahrenheit temperature of Death Valley’s hottest day. 
On the thermometer are the words: “Baker ca Gateway to Death Valley”
Corey had taken a picture back in the day before everybody had digital
He didn’t realize the word Valley had been cut off but posted his picture anyway
He thought it amusing and shared his photo
Baker ca Gateway to Death

Walking from the bus stop to the school and then back again is like walking through Death (or to Death – not the way I want to go)

No comments:

Post a Comment