Monday, June 22, 2020

Blueberry Season has Started Again

            Jenna received a text from Evelyn yesterday afternoon.  She had picked blueberries for her last summer and we said we would be available again this year.  I don’t normally take Jenna to the farm on Sundays, but as time has been really an odd thing this year and we’ve lost track of days and haven’t been to a real church meeting for over three months, I decided it would be okay to go out there.  Father’s Day was just another day and Roland didn’t seem to care if we left him.

             I don’t know how long we were out.  The bushes are definitely a lot taller and loaded with blueberries.  They don’t all turn at the same time as with cherries in which there is only two to three week window.  Blueberries ripen at different times.  Among the fat blue blueberries were several with purple bottoms and several more that were very small and green.

https://gardengoodsdirect.com/products/low-bush-blueberry-bushes

             We stayed a couple of hours, I guess.  We would have stayed longer if the breeze had continued and the sun didn’t blast its rays on us.  It’s been ten months since we had picked and weren’t quite into the swing of things.  My back is still hurting.  I don’t think Jenna hurts, but she does feel bad that we had told Evelyn that we’d be back and have not yet returned.

             It’s that darn sun.  If we stay too late then I have to drive toward it when it is setting in the west or if I miss my window of when sun will rise – like this morning – it was just too blinding.  I had to turn back.  I don’t recall having had that problem last year. 

            Del Blanchard is known in our community. It is my understanding had started several businesses and had done a lot for the community.  Evelyn had told us that the blueberry patch was his last contribution – though  she was never really excited about running it herself.  When Del became ill, John came to assist.  He is a nurse but came over from the Philippines to assist Del with his health and ended up assisting Evelyn with the blueberries.  He has since moved to Roseburg and Evelyn has made other arrangements to make the farm somebody else’s responsibility.

             Jenna and I met him yesterday.  I’m happy their agreement will benefit each of them.  Roland's vacation came to an end as he returned to work this morning.


No comments:

Post a Comment