Wednesday, January 23, 2013

It's Been A Tough Week




          A week ago yesterday mom
was discharged from the hospital
A week ago yesterday I
drove her home – her actual house. 
She wanted me to take her
to the one in her mind.

A week ago yesterday I drove
her to my house where we waited
for Nate (my nephew) to come
get her and take her
to her real home. 

A week ago she was
still distorted and not
satisfied with where she was.

A week ago today my
brother Patrick and his son-in-law
Nate moved some of mom’s furniture. 
A week ago today my sister-in-law
Sunny and our friend Becky
helped pack clothes.

A week ago today
unbeknownst to my mom,
she spent her last day
in the house where she started
a new life with dad and raised all
four of her children.

A week ago today my
sister Kayla took my mom
to the doctor. 
A week ago today, Patrick and
Sunny and their daughter Ellen
rearranged mom’s furniture and
decorated her walls.  

A week ago today Kayla drove mom
from the doctor’s office to what
appears to be her permanent home. 
A week ago today (well tonight) mom
spent her first night in
the assisted living community.

A week ago tomorrow my
brother Corey arrived at Salt Lake airport.
A week ago tomorrow Sunny picked
him up from the airport and
drove him to the house where
he had been raised. 

A week ago tomorrow my
mother received visits from each
of her kids and some
of the grandchildren.
A week ago today mom expressed
to each of us that she didn’t/doesn’t
want to stay and for her desire for
each of us to take her home.

There are photos taped around
the mirror. Mom had taped them
there herself.  They are her photos. She
has fond memories of each one –
perhaps some more than others.  Some
of them have been removed. She has
taken them off the mirror and put
them into her purse so that she will
have them when she gets to leave –
and return to the house that exists in
her mind but doesn’t
have an address for.  

Yesterday Corey cancelled his
flight and rented a truck

Today he'll pick up the truck and
fill it with things  that are his as
well as my moms.

Tomorrow he will drive
back to Las Vegas

                                      kfralc

No comments:

Post a Comment