Friday, December 19, 2014

The week before Christmas


Today I have the car.  Well, for six – eight hours. 

This morning Jenna and I rode in with Roland to his work.  We stayed in the car and listened to Henry Winkler for about 45 minutes.

I should have waited a while longer before pulling out of the lot, but I was afraid of more traffic entering the lot, and wanted to avoid the employee traffic and so went out on the road earlier than I should have.  But we did say a prayer before we left and got Jenna to the school with thirty minutes to spare.

It is Jenna’s last day of school this year.  The classes are doing a program this morning.  I didn’t make it to her program last year because we had the hardest snowfall we had seen for a number of years and so of course the busses were running behind and even though I had left the house earlier than I thought was necessary, I waited for over 20 minutes before I realized that even if the bus did come, there was no way it would get me to my destination and allow my walk hike up to her school in time to see her perform. 

She wants me there for her performance today.  I haven’t been there for all of her performances.  When she was in first grade, Roland and I arrived early enough, but were called away to set up chairs for a funeral. I gave a flash drive to someone recording but never got it back.

Her part does not start until after 10:00.  I have things to do and could not afford to hang around her school all day.  But I didn’t want to be taking the bus all day either.  That is why I am driving.

When the school has a program, the parents have the option of checking their child (or children) out early.  Jenna doesn’t want to be checked out early because she wants to stay for the class party.  So after I pick her up this afternoon, we will pick up some lunch for Roland and I will drive back to his office and he will drive us home – although I really don’t mind taking the bus from his work.  Perhaps I’ll have him drop us off at a TRAX station.

Tonight (thanks to my awesome sister-in-law, Sunny – the glue who holds us together) we will have a family party with two of my sibs and their families.  Corey and Joh cannot make it. 

  but Sunny says everyone in Utah will be there.    I’m excited to see everyone and play games.  I think the hours in today are going to fly right by.  


No comments:

Post a Comment