Friday, December 19, 2014

Still Wearing My Walking Shoes


I realize that this weather has been tough on a few people and I will probably be unhappy about it when there’s no moisture come summer, but right now I am enjoying walking and not trudging through snow.  I have enjoyed NOT having to wear my boots. I am enjoying the breathable air.  I feel good.  When I get headaches, I can step outside and make them go away.  The headaches are so much better than the sinus infection of the last two or three years – which I DON’T miss at all.


         The last few times I’ve gone walking, I noticed three or four trees that still have autumn leaves clinging to the branches.  Does that mean I might still discover autumn leaves on the ground in June?  Wow, that would be something.


         To think at this time last year, Jenna and I were getting rides from our neighbor up the street.  Her son enjoys his freedom with taking the bus.  I think he feels coddled when she drives him.  He may change his mind again if the weather gets bad again and the buses are late.

         Randy called about our Christmas plans for the 24th.  We drew names this year.  But instead of having just four or five gifts for all of us to open, he wants each of us to bring white elephants so that there will be more gifts to open.  With that, Roland decided we needed to go to Big Lots to purchase something tacky. 

         The hotdog toaster was over the limit – but it spoke white elephant.  Though I think if Bill and Kayla had something like that, she may actually use it for Garrett and Anna.  But I don’t know.  I guess it’s a good idea, but will the hotdog actually get cooked – will the toasted bun get burnt.  I don’t know.  25 dollars is too much of a gamble, I think.


         Roland had wanted to get a snowman or Santa Clause cookie jar.  The only one that we could find was not in a box.  We settled on a ceramic snowman sectioned in four pieces – each section offered a content of measure.  There are no handles though, and so using them as measuring cups seems an inconvenience – but it did scream white elephant.


         One of the white elephants we are taking is a recycled gift from Roland’s office party.  Surprisingly, it's actually a useful item. 


         We used one of Jenna’s gifts as the final white elephant gift.  She said she had wanted this item, but when I returned to the store for it, all I could find was a smaller version.  I had forgotten how small.  Her room isn’t clean and both Roland and I thought it might be more clutter to add to her room.


         I’m sorry that I cannot say what it is at this time.  Jenna reads my blog.  She’ll learn in time what it was that may have been left under the tree and may end up with it anyway.  I predict her and Tony will be fighting over it.  Perhaps Randy and Biff as well.  All four play like little children still.       

         It will be a fun Christmas.  And I’m still okay if it doesn’t snow.

No comments:

Post a Comment