Friday, October 20, 2017

No Self-Cleaning Oven


                Before we considered moving to Oregon - or had even drummed up the possibilities, we had purchased a new refrigerator and matching oven/range.  The oven was gas.  We had used the oven a few times.  I think Roland must have done more cooking than I.  We had it for 6 or 7 months before we made the trip to Oregon and started looking for houses.

            The oven was a gas hook-up and actually so was our dryer.  But we couldn't even  find a unit in Oregon that offered gas hook-up.  Our last house (the rental) offered a gas fireplace, but everything else was electric.  We don't even have gas in the house we live currently.  Too bad.  It makes for a nice back up when the power fails - which thus far it hasn't.

            I think the gas oven. which is currently in Randy and Carrie's possession, is self cleaning.  The one at our current house is not.  So Roland purchased a can of oven cleaner and a pair of long gloves marked "One Size Fits All".  That's a lie.  I have very small hands and so they are fine on me.  Jenna could probably wear them, but there is no way Roland would be able to get them on without tearing them.  Thus I was elected to clean the oven.


            Of course I wore a dust mask as I sprayed and coughed anyway.  Roland and I proceeded to open more windows and I retrieved to our room until it was time to wipe off the cleaner.  The oven door is in my way.  I don't think I did a thorough job wiping up the back.  Now there will be chemicals in our food next time we bake - though it won't be tonight.  The missionaries will be coming over and we will be feeding them breakfast for dinner. 

            Don't know yet if Jenna made her field trip or not.  The sun is out again, however. Even if the trip gets/was cancelled or gets/was postponed, the disappointment that may bring her down will eventually be replaced with enjoying "breakfast" and the company of the missionaries.

No comments:

Post a Comment