Saturday, June 2, 2018

Too Late To Plant?


         It has been said that plants and seeds should be introduced to the ground before Mothers' Day ends . . . or perhaps it's just seeds?  Roland and I are both city bred, but have tried our hand at living in the country.  Our yard is an ugly mess right now.  We were late planting last year.  I think we may have missed opportunity this year . . . but then again, the weather has been crazy enough that we may be okay to purchase a tomato plant or two.  Our garden won't have as many plants as what we tried last year.

          We purchased some strawberry plants and something called "Hula Berries" which we have never heard of before, but thought we would try it.  Roland tugged at the buds as they came up saying our harvest would start this year rather than last.  It may be the only crop we have.  Trick is weeding it without pulling up the plants.  As an added challenge, we'll have to put netting around it in order to keep the deer out.  I don't understand why they would walk through other houses in the neighborhood to get to ours.  It's not like we're in a large or open area.
         
          Roland likes to do the yard work when the sun is blazing overhead.  I prefer not to do yard work at all.  But if I must be out there, I would prefer the sun was not - especially when it's directly over us.  I need some shade.  Last week seemed to be the best time as it's been rather cool - and even cold at times. Often, our last week of May this year, looked and felt like November.  The temperature reached 79 one time I think, but the winds have been blowing over 10 mph and so it has always felt cooler.

          It is said that if you don't like a particular area to stay there for five minutes, and the weather will change.  I suppose it's like that all over the nation.  We had that saying in Utah and I have heard it in Oregon.  Only Oregon was not supposed to be like that. The temperature was supposed to be consistent.  And without fires.  It's been cool enough to change that, I suppose. 

          Yesterday the sun was out, but it was still cold.  At 10:00 a.m. it was still only 56 degrees outside. Sun is up again right now.  I'm predicting it will be warmer than yesterday.

No comments:

Post a Comment