Saturday, July 21, 2018

Cruise to Alaska Glacier Bay & Skagway


written on May 27, 1996



This font refers to what was written in 1996        and this font is my own commentary in the present.

May 20  Monday

            Our cabin steward was named Gaetano.  He left a new Princess Patter each night to inform us of the events that would be held the following day.

            We entered Glacier Bay.  For the most part, people were seen on the decks and outside of the boat - probably more that day than the rest put together.  We visited two glaciers and the ship stopped for each one and turned around.  They were pretty.  Still not what I had expected.




            There was a juggling act before our scheduled dinner and so we went and saw that.  We were greeted by the head waiter when we went into the dining room.  Everyone had missed us as we had not been there the night before.  That was pretty cool - the warm welcome and sincerity. 

            Trying new foods was great.  And having the option of having appetizers and so forth to add to the main meal.  Oh, the food was so wonderful.  Of course, I weigh more now than when the cruise began.

            After dinner, we went to see How to Make an American Quilt - that was interesting. A show I'll probably appreciate more with each time I see it - if I have that desire.
            Bed Again.



May 21 - Tuesday

            Now, this should be a more lengthy entry.  We stood in yet another line on Monday so that we could pay for tour trips.  Today we will do the first two on our side trip list agenda.

           
            Enter Skagway.  Population 700 or thereabouts.  I can't remember if that's the summer or winter population.  There are twice as many in summer than in winter.



            We're told that we arrived at 5:30 a.m. - I was fast asleep and have no way of knowing if we were on time that day or not.  Our first tour started at either 8:00 or 8:30 - I had told mom and grandma that I did not want to wake up before 7:00.  And so they went to breakfast without me.  For the next few days, in fact.  Grandma snored loudly and I seemed to have to go to the bathroom more often (different air I would imagine) and since climbing out of my bed was such a chore, I didn't really sleep all that well.

I remember walking around the boat a few times when it was only 3:00 a.m.  That's when the janitorial action happens.  And apologies to my family who have had their fair share of hearing me snore loudly.  I am not aware that I am doing it. 
 
After we disembarked for our first tour, we took a bus to the summit.  On our way, we stopped off at a gold panning camp, heard stories about Skagway and legends of conmen - particularly one who earned the nickname Soap - E (I don't know the spelling that was used; I had originally spelled s-o-p-p-y but the pronunciation is a hard O) and had a lesson on how to pan for gold and received opportunity to do so for ourselves - oh, boy - what a thrill (NOT)


Then up to the summit - that was quite beautiful.  Of course, I took many pictures of that area [back before digital cameras; mine required film] the sign converting 55 miles into 90 kilometers.  


The bus driver let those of us who wanted to get off the bus and walk across the Canadian border.  That was fun.


When the tour ended the driver said he could drop anyone who wanted to get off in town before taking the rest back to the ship.  And so mom and I found souvenirs (hers were sweatshirts while I wnt for a stack of postcards)
We took a shuttle back to the boat (it cost us a dollar each) and ate lunch in the dining room.  Mary Ann (one of our dinner companions) told about the glaciers she had visited.  And we told her and her parents what we did. 


After lunch, we disembarked the ship once again to take a second tour - this time by street car.  And some of the stories we heard were the same [as the ones we had been told on the bus trip] but some details seemed a little different. 


I thought it was interesting that there was only one school in Skagway.  Grades 1 - 12

Skagway was a cute little town.  We were supposed to set sail at 6:30 but didn't leave until after 7:00. 


No comments:

Post a Comment