Thursday, July 12, 2018

Two Classes and the Writing Center

       Currently, I am taking two classes.  Neither is difficult, but both (especially accounting) are very time-consuming.  So time-consuming that I have been working on assignments or other class projects on Friday.  In the past, I have always had each of my projects completed before Friday, though sometimes I have taken time to review before sending on Friday morning.  This month I have not.

       The University offers an online writing center where students can submit their papers or make appointments to get feedback.  Thus far it's been a very devastating experience for me.  But then again, I haven't used for almost two years. It appears I had only used it three times the very year I started, and may not have used it at all, but it was required in one of the classes that I took.

       The idea is to get feedback on grammar, sentence structure, APA format and so forth.  It could be useful to me this mod if I could better plan for it.  As all assignments are due on Saturday and I often don't have my assignment finished until Friday and the center needs at least 48 hours to return, I have not gone with that option.  For the most part, having a friend read for me and give me instant feedback has been more beneficial.

       Turning an assignment is not a big deal.  The waiting might be, but it beats trying to keep an appointment that I was unable to get into because my connections wouldn't work.  The school may have improved the system, and I do have a laptop in which I was able to get on to blackboard without a major struggle.   Because of the trauma I had encountered, I never did bother with it again.

       However, this week I had actually completed the assignment for my Ethics class on Tuesday and so chose to turn it into the writing center for feedback and moved on to a more extended research and wordy assessment for my accounting class. The accounting essay has now been graded and I am still waiting for feedback on my Ethics assignment so I can get that turned in.

        I know that my paragraphs either need to be spread out into two or three while others should be combined.  If I don't receive feedback from the center by tomorrow, I will turn it in according to what I feel is best.  Thus far I have received full credit for what I've turned in. Grammarly doesn't always make accurate corrections on the entire spread, though it does seem to capture most of it -  a lot more than spell check.  But still . . .

6 comments:

  1. Saturday morning - four days after submitting my assignment - still no feedback. I sent an email with this blog post and three attachments yesterday after failing a quiz about the writing center. Our zip code is the password for getting into most things, but it's our email that is the password for the writing center. I don't know how much time is given between the student and instructor. I had put 60 minutes as I recall my moments of frustration back in 2016. I had spent 40 plus minutes just trying to get in - but now I remember I had tried to sign on early BEFORE my appointment. And since I had opted not to use the instructor this week, I didn't even think about it one way or the other. I suppose I could have made an appointment for yesterday and tried my laptop. But I didn't.

    The last assignment I had submitted in 2016 was returned to me without an appointment or any problems. This time . . . I'll just stick to my friends and not have to experience the trauma. I'd forgotten how traumatic it was, or I may have mentioned it at the open house when we were in Salem. The school newsletter looked at the positive focusing on the individual attention given to the three who had showed up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post is very great.i read this post this is a very helpful. i will definitely go ahead and take advantage of this. You absolutely have wonderful stories.Cheers for sharing with us your blog. python training in noida

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome blog. I enjoyed reading your articles. This is truly a great read for me. I have bookmarked it and I am looking forward to reading new articles. Keep up the good work! digital marketing training in noida

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have read your article, it is very informative and helpful for me.I admire the valuable information you offer in your articles. Thanks for posting it.. tiktok downloader

    ReplyDelete
  5. In the past, I have always had each of my projects completed before Friday,

    ReplyDelete
  6. My Name is Abhay Kumar. I’m a Blogger living in India. I am a fan of technology, design, and writing. I’m also interested in programming and blog. I would like to share articles related to SEO, blogging tutorials, WordPress Tutorial, Make money online. You can read my blog.
    ethical hacking training in gurgaon

    ReplyDelete