Friday, July 20, 2018

Blackberries Growing Wild


            To the best of my knowledge, nobody around here intentionally plants blackberries.



            They grow like weeds.  Most people don't seem to like them.  They're not attractive plants.




            When we first moved to Tri City, we would pick berries from an overgrown explosion down the street.  They were gone the following year.  But we did have the opportunity to hike our brown hill to get to them.



            But now we have an opportunity to reach the blackberry goodness without having to leave our yard or climb the hill



            They have come into our yard, I'm guessing by the wind.  They are starting to chock the life out of our poor fir tree



            But we like the fruit - though retrieving it is quite a chore as the plant is a very unfriendly one with thousands of thorns that guard the berries and will prick and scratch at you if you're not careful.



            Roland made a fabulous blackberry sauce.  Although it was intended as a syrup, its thickness is somewhere between syrup and jam.  We have used for both and I like it.   



            The shape of the  blackberry reminds me of the raspberry


            I used to love raspberries, but now prefer the taste of the blackberry.  I also like them better than blueberries or Oregon's own marionberry.  I cannot tell them apart by sight, but I can with my pallet.  I am not too impressed with the marionberries lack of flavor.



unless I am wrong and we have been eating marionberries all this time instead of blackberries - though I don't think so.  Someone had brought us a marionberry pie last Thanksgiving and the berries were not all that tasty.  I like the pies, cobblers, and syrups that Roland makes from the wild blackberries.  I don't like the summer brown.

        
             In addition to dry grass, we have Queen Anne's Lace popping up all over



            I would rather have lush and green.  It's nice when it rains.

No comments:

Post a Comment