Sunday, March 10, 2019

Where is Everyone?

          I can't even seem to pinpoint the month when Marva and Shelly came back into our lives - or even why. Roland would cram gospel truths down their throats and Marva really did want to learn.  Shelly was more interested in having a father-figure in her life.  Unlike her mom, she is not interested in boys.  But neither of them are in relationships.  Marva is usually quite positive but doesn't know when to give her mouth a rest.  Shelly is too needy and clingy. 

          I believe the Elders started teaching her in November.  We had set up an appointment in our home.  We were stood up twice when she was having the discussions in our home.  I don't know how many more times she was stood up after they moved her to the church.  In this case, it was Marva who had chased after the Elders rather than the other way around. She begged for them to start teaching her multiple lessons at a time. 

          I was surprised to learn that Shelly would be ready to get baptized the same day.  They had entered the waters of baptism on December 29.  Marva was so excited.  Shelly was first to go into the water and Roland baptized her without any problems.  Marva is quite heavy and was not fully immersed the first time and so Roland had to repeat the prayer before he held her under the second time.

          Unfortunately, they had managed to miss every testimony meeting since they had started attending.  I think the last time I saw Marva was for a Relief Society activity on January 22. They no longer attend meetings - which is sad to me - after all the effort that Marva had put into literally dragging the missionaries to appointments.  I don't know why she doesn't come.  I'm guessing because there have been some members who have tried to teach her self-reliance rather than trying to live on hand-outs or welfare. Like how it might be more important to buy a loaf of bread and some cheese that may last a week as opposed to blowing your entire paycheck on high-priced buffet at Seven Feathers.

          Marva has selected hearing and gets a bee in her bonnet and is so focused on that bee that she doesn't even notice the hummingbirds or the butterflies.  Has she forgotten about all the other friends that she had made?  She's not punishing us but is depriving herself and Shelly - though I don't believe Shelly was ever committed. I think her only reason for coming to Church was because Marva was making her.

          Have they forgotten how Roland had allowed Shelly to call him dad and the time that they had spent together?  I don't understand how Marva could be so focused on something that isn't even real - but an image she made-up in her head.  She's done it several times before where she focuses on one thing that she might consider offensive instead of taking time to view the picture in its entirety.

          I know it sounds terrible that I haven't missed her dropping by unannounced and overstaying her welcome.  She would speak enthusiastically as she shared what she thought was amusing information, "This is so funny.  You're going to laugh"  I rarely did.  It wasn't even her fault.  I obviously go to bed earlier than she does.

          She has decided that she doesn't want anything to do with the Church.  Wish she would have figured that out before she was baptized.  Could be that the timing isn't right.  As I mentioned in this post, Satan never wanted her in the Church.  Doesn't mean that he has won.  It apparently isn't the right time.  Whatever.

          Church was really sparse today.  5 children total.  Outnumbered by the leaders as there were seven of us.  Bro. R. was called to lead the activities for the two boys in my class.  It was announced today and he attended my class.  It was great to have him there as he contributed to my lesson with his profound knowledge.  I always appreciate that. 


          We had our first choir practice for a couple of months.  I did not sing as it seems to invite unnecessary coughing on my part.  I took roll and waited for Jenna who was in a youth meeting.  When she was done, we returned home.  

No comments:

Post a Comment