Friday, November 29, 2019

Yesterday's Main Meal


Yesterday was Thanksgiving.  We had told those we had invited that dinner would be at 4:00.  Except for the turkey, I think everything was ready to eat at 11:00.  Well, most everything.  Roland had not bothered with the rolls or peas until after Chris arrived – which was shortly before 3:00.

Chris is on of Jenna’s friends from school.  The invitation was extended to Chris’ entire family – but Jenna did not communicate that.  Grandma had already taken the turkey out of the freezer to thaw by the time she got word.  And so it was just the four of us.

I remember having had small Thanksgivings before.  Two years ago we had invited a couple.  And there were only five of us with mom on Thanksgiving Day.  We had had our Thanksgiving dinner on a Saturday when Patrick and Sunny were in town.  There were 18 of us.  But on Thursday it was just my mom, Roland, Jenna, Biff and I.  He had known Jeanie at that point, but they weren’t engaged. There is also one Thanksgiving I remember with just my parents and sibs making only six.

Chris eats like a bird.  Could have been a self conscience thing.  Or perhaps he was planning to eat another Thanksgiving dinner with his own family.  When I learned they probably wouldn’t be here (turned out that his mom was sick and wouldn’t have come even if she had planned on it) I had invited two other couples.  With so little notice that I had given each, I really was not surprised that neither one of them showed.

Meanwhile we’ve got tons of leftover food.  No cooking but only reheating for the next several days.  Roland thought he would try something different this year and fixed the turkey the way Gordon Ramsey had suggested.  Needless to say, I was not impressed – especially with the gravy.  That won’t be the gravy I will be using on the leftovers.

I’m grateful that Chris could come and play a game with the family.  I’m grateful that the “storm” forecast for the entire nation seemed to be clean and (although cold) inviting.  At least that is how it was all across Oregon and New York.  Randy said it was cold there.  They didn’t have snow however.  This may have been a good year to come.  I don’t know that we’ll ever see New York.  I’m not holding my breath.

Kayla had sent me a message that they are used to going to St. George for Thanksgiving, but his mom and dad had gone to California to be with their youngest daughter.  Bill’s older sister had invited them for Thanksgiving dinner. Meanwhile they had invited the mother of Bill’s late wife who had recently lost her husband.  She had cancelled at the last minute and they managed to invite themselves back to his sisters.

I wish we could have spent Thanksgiving with my sister and her family.  In the past we have depended on Bill to eat up the leftovers.  I suppose we’ll have to box everything up and send it to him.  LOL.  It is probably cold enough that it would keep.

I hope that whenever and however you celebrate Thanksgiving that you make it a good one.  I hope that you always have a grateful with each day.

No comments:

Post a Comment