Thursday, November 14, 2019

Another Day In the Life



Another restless night and stomach pains
What did I eat that made me so sore?
I didn’t have anything scheduled for work
but checked the availability as I was
willing to work at the middle school today.
No jobs were posted.  Just as well.
I thought perhaps I would sleep for much
of the day and then I received a text.

I really like working with the aide who text me.
If it had been anybody else, I would have said “NO”
but I got dressed and scraped my things together.  
Roland fixed me a lunch.  And then I was off.

The morning drive was in thick fog. 
I thought that would mean sun and
heat during the day, but it was cold. 
All day.  I only had to be outside two times for recess.

In each class I’m supposed to help with phonics
And letter sounds.  What a confusing language!
ONE – a word that rhymes with “sun” or “fun”
– where are the phonics?
Nobody looks at the “O” and expects a “wwww” sound.
What the hey?

One student asked for the pronunciation of “doughnut”
which is often spelled “D_O_N_U_T”.  That makes sense. 


Well, sort of.  Can “u” and “a” be pronounced the same?
I think “a” has a variety of sounds:
dance, carnation, awesome, alligator
and what is up with the “gh” sound?
Laugh, ghost, dough   or  “oo”
Cook, food, door

And once again why is the spelled a
different from the written a? Lest we not forget
c as in city or c as in cake?
                                      chocolate, school, charade
and what is up with the spelling of “choir”?
The only part to be read phonetically is the “r”
The i is pronounced, but in the wrong place. 
So how does the letter “O” fit in that scenario?

Oh, the things I think about when I am at my job.

No comments:

Post a Comment