Thursday, February 20, 2020

Work and Wednesdays


        I don’t generally work on Wednesdays as it has been set aside for meeting with the RS presidency.  They used to meet on Mondays but I had asked if we could change the day as Mondays are generally the most requested days off and I can pick up sub assignments more easily than any other day.

          Wednesdays are short days.  I don’t particularly care for short days.  Normally I leave the school a half an hour to an hour before the students let out, but on Wednesdays the kids get out of school at the same time as the aides – which makes for craziness in the parking lot and then driving home.  At least for two of the schools.  I have never worked the others on a Wednesday and guess I never will – at least for the time being.

          Our meetings are usually at 10:00 – sometimes 1:00.  Two weeks ago it was announced that we’d be bumping the meeting up to 3:00 yesterday.  Thus I removed myself from having a personal day as I believe I would be able to work.  Canyonville had a position from 8:30 to 2:00 – which means I would arrive home before the children were let out.  Unfortunately (or maybe fortunately) the RS pres told me the time I had changed back to 10:00 and I hadn’t yet even seen the listing for Canyonville.  Thus I did not accept.

          On Tuesday night I noticed an available position at Coffenberry and inquired about accepting the position.  They’ve had me come in at 8:00 to 10:00 before and then I just drive up to the church from there as it is close enough to be within walking distance (in fact Jenna would walk to the church after school let out every second Wednesday of the month).  I met with the presidency and returned to Coffenberry after the meeting.  How many other schools would allow me to take time off for a meeting. 

          I missed the student lunch – which – in my opinion is the most necessary reason for the aide’s purpose.  But I suppose that some covered hours are better than no covered hours.  It somehow feels the permanent aide positions have been harder to fill this year than the subs. I often feel like I am the only aide to sub for the middle schoolers.  I had seen others in 2019 but have not seen many 2020 and know that there have been many days when the schools have gone without.

          Back to Canyonville today.  At least I don’t feel like I’m in a trance this morning.  At least not yet.  I definitely need to change my eating habits so that I can feel more alert and not like a zombie – though I did feel more productive yesterday than on Tuesday.  My trance had not started until Roland and I went up to Roseburg.  On the return, it was all I could do to stay awake.  It was only 6:00.  Time for some wake-up juice and more vegetables. 

No comments:

Post a Comment