Tuesday, April 16, 2024

20 Things Digitally Deleted

 

           This morning I watched a couple of “remembrance” videos found on Utah starting with 20 Things From The 1960s, Kids Today Will Never Understand! found here. As I watched I smiled at some things I remembered and laughed at others.  Most I could remember first hand such as Sunday drives and record players.  There were only a couple that I either couldn’t remember or dared to try myself.  I do remember trying the pogo stick but only a try.  I never owned my own pogo stick.  I never gave myself the opportunity of perfecting it.

          I remember green stamps.  I remember having watched them dissolve – not that I was ever attached to them.  I was a kid.  I didn’t care about their existence or what could be purchased with them. 

          Though I have done “remembrance” and “evolution” posts before, I thought it would be fun to reminisce once more and reflect on some of the items mentioned in this and other videos.  I will start with #13 carbon paper.

        I remember using carbon paper and typewriter ribbon (#15) both equally messy leaving stains on the fingers and paper.  Carbon paper was often NOT a great quality for duplication as it was never as dark as the original - at least mine weren't.  Today's "copy" is a zillion times easier.  

        Digitalizing documents wiping out our past.  I watched two more videos that focused on products of the 19th turned to early 20th century.  Many I remember from historic sites but of course not from personal experience.  As I watched those I wondered if children from this century view the things I grew up with in the same way that I view the turn of the century described above.  I never thought of myself as seeing a "turn of the century" as I'm so focused at 19 becoming 20 but I have seen a "turn of the century" from 20th to 21st.  Retro to digital everything.


No comments:

Post a Comment