Saturday, May 25, 2024

Reminiscing Baptisms and the Spirit

             We had another convert baptism in our ward today.  Two of his cousins were baptized over a year ago.  Their mom is a member but does not attend as English is not her native language and so she does not always understand what is being said.  All of her children are bilingual.

          The member who gave the first talk felt prompted to bear his testimony in Spanish.  The Spirit was louder than his words (for me) and tugged at my heart strings (which evidently are wired directly to my tear ducts) and I was touched.  I think the family was as well.

          I thought about many primary baptisms Ive attended in the last ward I was in all of which I have mentioned in various posts.  The bishops son made a paper airplane out of the program which reminded me of the most irreverent baptism Ive ever attended.  I was also reminded of two baptisms I had attended when the Spanish ward was in charge of the program Jaimes being one of them.

          Translators were provided for the speakers who presented their messages in one language or the other.  With the first baptism it was the same brother that had translated from English to Spanish with the first talk and then from Spanish to English for the second. 

          I had noticed that the English speaker would say only one or two sentences and would allow the brother to translate those one or two sentences to the end of the talk.  The Spanish speaker seemed to start out her talk the same way but then continued speaking without stopping which I did not understand until the translator stood at the microphone and said something to the affect that one of the gifts of the Holy Ghost is to bring things to your remembrance. I dont remember if she was through with her talk at that point.  I think that she was and the translator had told us that the speaker had concluded her talk providing him with the opportunity of showing us how gift that worked. I thought it was very powerful.

          When Jaime was baptized each of the speakers brought their own translator.  The sister who translated for the Spanish speaker didnt seem to have a large English vocabulary as far as translating all of it accurately.  Those that were in the crowd that had a knowledge of a second language (for example my brother who served in Belgium who knows French) could make out more words than those who spoke only English but the Spirit was felt as the initial speaker poured her heart into it. 

         I dont think I felt the Spirit quite as much then as I did today.  I remember watching Jaime who understood it all.  I was so proud of her for knowing what was being said.  I still am proud of her today.  She truly is my sunshine.


No comments:

Post a Comment