Thursday, May 16, 2013

Another Day in the Life . . .


I can hear Trume’s grandpa
He is raising his voice
As he often does when Trume
Is getting on his nerves

“Who’s he yelling at?”
I wonder – for it is a school day
Trume is in the first grade.

I hear a light knock at
My door – followed by the doorbell
(as I was too slow getting there – even
In my cracker box house)

Ordinarily I would guess Trume
Except for he should be at school.
He’s in the same district as Jenna
She’s at school.

I check the peep hole
Don’t see anyone.  Trume –
Really?  He’s not the brightest
Although his grandma claims otherwise

“Jenna is in school, “ I say. 
“How come your not?”
Evidently grandpa didn’t feel like taking him
Or maybe he forgot.

How could he not remember?
Grandma took Trume’s little sister
To daycare.  Wouldn’t it make sence that
If she was gone that Trume should be also?

I’m doing laundry
I use the washing machine more in the summer
Than any other season
I don’t always have to use the dryer though

I don’t particulary enjoy being outdoors
When it is so hot
But it is more economical to hang
Clothes on the line.
They dry faster.

Usually by the time I get from
One end of the clothes line to the other
The clothes that I hung up first
Are ready to come down

More wrinkly and stiff than from the dryer
But whites are whiter and our gas bill
Is not as high as if I dried everything I wash.

It’s quiet outside.
I haven’t heard grandpa’s voice
Since Trume came by.
I wonder if he was taken to school.

I’ll probably find out later today –
Like the second I pull in the driveway
Unless I take Jenna to the park.
Maybe I’ll do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment