Thursday, November 1, 2018

Recycled Candy




                Yesterday was bleak.  The temperature remained pretty consistent throughout the day fluctuating  between 53 and 58.  There was a hint of moisture in the air.  I was able to breathe so much better than I have for over a week.  It has been really dry the last five months.  Dry as though I had never left Salt Lake.
         
          As I hadn't slept well the night prior, I slept several times during the day.  I needed to stay home and rest.  Perhaps I should have rested all day, but had left word that I would help with the library annex.

          It is our fourth year to celebrate Halloween in Myrtle Creek.  Each year the city will close off a few streets downtown and everyone is invited to go from business to business to do their trick or treating.  It isn't mandatory

The building that is barded up used to be a fitness center, now out of
                                              business.  The one next to it chooses not to participate in Halloween

but there  are many who will not only pass out candy, but deck out their businesses with elaborate decorations

                               
                                 This is one of the decorated businesses (barber)  In addition to 
                                                the jellyfish and shark, I saw a mermaid (but not pictured)



while others may go with something simpler.





At the annex, we not only passed out candy, but used the incentive to use the candy to "buy a book". 5 pieces for any book.  And it could be any t pieces of candy.  It could be 5 candies that you might not want anyway.  I can't believe how many teenagers were parting with their chocolate.  Oh, wait a minute.  I would be putting suckers or pixie sticks in - never chocolate.

At first it didn't seem we had a whole lot of takers, but gradually, we were able to refill our plastic tub at least three times.
  

                                                                            Roland helped pass out candy

I didn't see as many trick-or-treaters this year as I had in years prior.  It was the coldest Halloween that we have been a part of in Oregon.

There was a light rain at times.  Perhaps it was the weather that had made it seem less crowded - or perhaps there were other places to go.   I know Jenna had gone to Riddle before returning to Myrtle Creek.


 This was my costume.  As you can see, I went all out.

No comments:

Post a Comment