Tuesday, October 30, 2018

Listen To/Follow Directions


            Yesterday I subbed for an aide at one of the elementary schools. There are at least two kindergartners in her class who have a hard time following or understanding directions.  She had me sit at a table near the back of the class and sent the two directionally challenged students to sit with me to work on the paper. 


The directions were simple, really: draw a picture of a pumpkin and write the word "pumpkin" as best as you can.  Don't ask how to spell it.  Just do your best at sounding it out - which was the entire point of the exercise.   The little girl who sat by me understood what was expected of her.  She whipped out a list of words and copied the words pumpkin and costume.  She drew three amazing pumpkins and turned her paper over.  The boy was much more interested in drawing than spelling.  I asked him how pumpkin started.  He made the "p" sound and I asked him what that looked like.  He drew a series of backward Ps but no other letters to make pumpkin.  He also put a "W" for wagon - but no other letters.

            When the instructor came to stamp the papers, she asked to look at the work before she could stamp each paper.  I don't know why the little girl wouldn't show her, but she seemed to be keeping it a secret.  Both her teacher and I said that her paper wouldn't get stamped unless she showed her work.  She just smiled and kept it hidden.  I told her that the boy had attempted with making a letter "p" several times.  He received a stamp, but the little girl did not.

            Before I left, the girl took her paper to show her teacher, but she still did not get a stamp.  The instructor had told her that she had missed her opportunity and that it was too late to receive a stamp for her work.  The girl cried because she was not able to manipulate the instructor into allowing her to have a stamp anyway.  She needs to learn to mind.

            Minding or understanding the instructor applies to more than just kindergarten. As I have mentioned countless times before, the online school provides lectures once a week.  In order to know if the students are attending the lectures or watching the recorded sessions, a recent incentive has been created for some classes.  It is called a "Live Lecture Quiz" in which the student will give two explanations of things found within the lecture.  It's worth an additional 20 points.    

            I personally need the lectures for structure so that I may know exactly what is expected with the assignments, assessments and occasionally the discussion.  But there are evidently several class members who choose to ignore the lecture or misfollow the directions - which is a sad thing really.  So many mistakes could be avoided if taking the time to follow the directions.

            Danny and I have both given bogus quizzes to our students to see how well they are paying attention.  Even with my explaining to "Please read and FOLLOW the directions",



I still get students who mess it up.  I remember being one of those students - fooled more than once - which is sad to admit.  

No comments:

Post a Comment