Sunday, October 21, 2018

The Power in Position


My initial post is costing more time than I am able to give for the moment anyway.  Guess this one will have to tie my readers over:

            The meeting ended early today and so the bishop decided to call a few members from the congregation to come and bear their testimonies.  I smiled as I thought about how often meetings were based on impromptu due to short meetings or just lack of speakers.  In this post I mentioned the majority of youth had their favorite impromptu meeting which was sharing one's favorite hymn and a little bit about why it was/is our favorite (or one of our favorites) and then we would sing that hymn as a congregation.  I think that is something we could do in this ward with our regular pianist, but I know there several in the ward who would not be comfortable playing some hymns out of the blue that they hadn't practiced for a while.

            Singing hymns brought reverence to our meetings and some of the reasons behind the individuals' liking the hymn was inspiring.  I related this to Jenna and she said she would like that opportunity.  I suspect the youth in this ward may know the hymns better than in my last ward when I lived in West Valley.

            Danny was not at church today, but did send her laptop and a cheesy video about Ester - a musical that we would not be able to finish - and didn't.  I interrupted some of it to say "Hey, I just want to let you know what's going on"  - and relate the Biblical version of Ester instead of just the video.  I do believe in the power of music, but I think this particular version took some liberties with their interpretation.

            We're not going to be able to watch starting January as lessons are now going to be only 20 minutes long as well as singing time.  There will no longer be a sharing time.  Church will only be two hours instead of three.  I am personally looking forward to the change.

No comments:

Post a Comment