Sunday, October 7, 2018

I DO NOT Accept the Challenge . . . at least Right Now



                The RS president sent an e-mail to the sisters to remind us of some challenges given to us in Conference yesterday. I am not prepared to accept the challenge of the 10 day fast from social media.  I am taking courses online.  Sometimes YouTube videos are required - though not always.  Sometimes I will search for tutorials on my own.  Giving up facebook will not be tough as it's been somewhat pathetic or disappointing overall lately anyhow.  I need to use my email for updates regarding my classes and to view confirmation on assignments that I accept for work.  Yes.  I got a job.  I have subbed as a teacher's aide for three different schools now and have at least two more for this week.

                I remember when Jenna took the challenge.  For the most part, it was not a big deal.  Steering away from YouTube was her biggest challenge as she enjoys cartooning videos and singing with videos.  She did this at a time when the internet was not a requirement for one of her classes.  I suppose I could do a partial fast.  There are some talks from conference and news article updates that I will want to review.  If I talk to Alexa, does that count as social media?  I am constantly asking about the temperature. 

                When I am on vacation, I am on vacation - or at least would like to be.  If I were to go on one right now, I'd still have to take the laptop in order to fulfill my school requirements. I don't have a touchscreen that I am glued to.  I update my blog post occasionally but not regularly.  I may be able to do a fast once my classes end, but not right now.  People still come before technology.  I know that I am rationalizing, but aside from school, I really don't get into it that much.  And I have NEVER nor will be surgically implanted to my cell phone.  It's not a big deal.

1 comment:

  1. For me, Facebook is where I usually get my source of news which many times is not even uplifting. There is a lot of garbage and drama on Facebook. I don't know why I'm on it as often as I am. I'm on it every day and often times more than once or twice a day. I was assisting one of my children when the announcement was made so, I actually heard it from Bill. It's just become addictive for me to be on Facebook but so far, I've made it one whole day without it. I did check my messanger a couple of hours ago but I have a smartphone so, I don't need to log in to FB to check my messages and I only checked it because of something that was concerning to me but I realized it really wasn't that big of a deal after all. I still feel fine to use other sources of media as I do not use it as often as Facebook and I know something else would be more beneficial to other other people as some hardly ever get on Facebook. I'm sure you'll figure something out to sacrifice when the time is right for you.

    ReplyDelete