Monday, July 22, 2019

Dash #843 youth and TV

How do you believe the youth are affected by television?

          For the most part I would say that television has a negative effect on children - depending on what they watch, I guess.  I think if they are learning educational facts or self-esteem, it can be good for them.  I think it is wrong for parents to rely upon the television as an electric baby-sitter just to keep children out of their hair.  I also think it's wrong for parents to allow children to watch something violent - perhaps not even of their choosing, but what may be on to entertain said parent.


                Michelle had given birth to Melody five months before I had Jenna.  Michelle had decided that Melody would not be allowed to watch TV and asked those who’d be watching Melody to honor her wishes.  I, on the other hand, engaged Jenna in watching children’s programs.  I loved to watch her watch them and I loved that she learned.


            There were some programs that were more educational than others.  She liked the doll Molly from The Big Comfy Couch and thus we had added the program to our agenda. 


            She would work out with Luna and lay down and work with a pretend clock while Luna did her workout.  Jenna did this on her own as I had never even thought to have her follow along.


            I think her favorite part of the program was watching the dust bunnies who were not always a part of the show. 


She still smiles when I show her pictures.  She laughed as a child.  She has always had such a cute laugh.

            We discovered Laurie Berkner through Noggin.  Jenna would always do the march and actions along with Laurie.  I think her favorite was “We Are the Dinosaurs”



            Over time, Roland purchased two Laurie Berkner CDs for us to listen to


              Of course television did not replace my reading to her.  We spent countless hours at the library playing games and checking out books.  Many of the books we read were non-fiction because she would ask for them.  She'd ask lots of questions - for example about honey and bees.  We would look read the books together in order to answer her questions.  

            Melody was introduced to the television eventually, but has never loved it.  Jenna will rewatch programs from the past just to put a smile on her face.  But she could live without the TV now.

No comments:

Post a Comment