Monday, July 1, 2019

The Word: Crazy

          Grocery Outlet opened a location in Myrtle Creek.  On Thursday morning they had an open house which started at 9:00.  According to an employee there, people started lining up at 5:00 a.m.  That's crazy!  Driving to unfamiliar territory without a GPS - also crazy.

           Some people are offended by the word “Crazy” while others find humor in the word and may even feel honored that “crazy” was the adjective chosen to describe them.  I think of Jenna and my brother-in-law Bill as being crazy.  “Crazy” is unique or silly and a brief description of their fun behavior.  It’s not a word I use to imply insanity or being deranged . . . at least with them.  Not in a negative way, at least.

            I have played the card game crazy eights and a similar game called “Crazy Countries” 


http://beneaththewraps.blogspot.com/2014/02/learning-geography-part-2-south-america.html


            Crazy may imply that one is a fanatic about something. 

“Boy Crazy”

“Crazy for pineapples”

“Crazy about looking for bargains”

“Working like crazy”

I do tend to use the word “crazy” meaning “insane” more when I am describing those in the paragraph I used to start out this post or gambling or those who choose to climb Mount Everest or purposely perform, what seem to me, like foolish tasks that could get a person killed – like purposely jumping out of a plane without a parachute in order to test one’s homemade wings (or something like that) or all those astronauts who have boarded a rocket to head for the unknown.  I also think it is crazy for people to camp out for concert or sport tickets, sales or parade seats. 

I thought it was insane that a traditional school would still be in session in mid-June the first year we had lived in Oregon.

I suppose my reference to labeling the weather “crazy” may also have implied insanity.

Daisy & Jaime May 2005

I called our first dog crazy when he would jump up and catch darts in his mouth.  I called our dog Daisy “crazy” because it rhymed.

            Procrastination drives me crazy.  I’m definitely not meaning in a silly way.                
            I suppose dementia is a form of crazy.  From personal experience the “crazy” definitions all came out at once:  so many times the distortion was infuriating, but sometimes things were said that made me laugh or smile because some of the situations did seem a bit humorous.

Crazy also appears to us in fairytales.  The mad hatter from “Alice in Wonderland” was deranged.  He was crazy.  His daughter, introduced in fiction this century, seems to be missing some realities in her mind and doesn’t quite have a grasp on certainty.   And what is up with “the dish ran away with the spoon“?  That is a crazy concept.      



Sometimes we get caught up in Church callings and wonder what the Lord is thinking – or wonder if it’s time to get out before we make ourselves crazy trying to fulfill a calling that we really don’t want.

I’ve had crazy dreams – that is they have been strange, possibly insane, but mostly just unrealistic.

            We refer to “crazy traffic” or “crazy drivers” associated with insanity.
             Sometimes there are situations that "drive us crazy".  

            The word “crazy” has different meanings.

No comments:

Post a Comment