Friday, July 12, 2019

Strange Things

            I had gone to bed early on Thursday. Really early.  I don’t know why I was so exhausted.  I wish I had been that worn out last night.  Perhaps I would have slept better.
Yesterday I had awoken just after midnight and could not get back to sleep.  I left the room in hopes that watching TV would return me to slumberland.  Most every channel seemed to air infomercials and those that didn’t weren’t showing anything that interested me at that moment.  Thus I decided I would try Netflix.  I was told that the internet was out and a suggestion to check the cable.  What?  I was hoping to fall back asleep, not wake myself up to check chords – uh, no.  I don’t remember what it was that finally returned me to sleep.
            It was a while later when I heard Roland get up, but I was determined to sleep in for as long.  That was short-lived.

“Did you pay the internet this month?”

“It comes out automatically.”

“I can’t sign in.  Internet is not coming up.”

I tell him about the Netflix message.  How do we check to see if the Internet is out when we don’t have the Internet to check?

Roland tried to call our carrier, but his phone didn’t appear to be working and so he used mine.  I don’t think he got through.

He turned on the TV.  It appears that there is another hurricane in Louisiana.  One man interviewed remembers Katrina and over time you just get used to it.  I don’t think I’d hang around long enough to get used to it. I think I would be for moving away from Louisiana.

I wouldn’t think the conditions in Louisiana would have any bearing on Oregon’s internet, but you never know.

Roland suggests he drive to the Church or McDonald’s to see if he can get reception there.  No reception – neither place.  I had had my suspicions that it wasn’t just us who were without.  It came back on at 7:00.  I did not check my email until about 7:30.  That is when I found  Evelyn’s message and woke up Jenna.

Jenna stayed until 11:00 and I returned her last night for a couple of hours.  Evelyn came to the car with her and praised up and down how much she loves my child.  I don’t know of anyone who doesn’t like Jenna. She really is a remarkable human being.
After one of the worst night’s sleep of my life, I drove Jenna back to the farm this morning.  I realized I hadn’t washed the windshield (which had been on my agenda) and my back window was fogged.  Really?  July?  I needed the defogger. 

For the first six miles, the speed limit goes from 45 to 35 to 30.  After that, there is a sign that ends Myrtle Creek and the speed zone.  I think there are some people who may actually drive it at 90.  Crazy fools!  There is absolutely no rationalization to doing that – especially on curvy roads that have a downward drop.  I don’t really want my car to end up in a tree because the driver behind me wants to drive like he’s in the Indianapolis 500.

Twenty minutes there, twenty minutes back and my back window still had dew on it when I pulled into the driveway, retrieved a baby wipe and washed the windows. I’m thinking it may not have been the best choice.  I am so so sleepy.  I will definitely be taking a nap this afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment